Iron retains heat more than alumimum, therefore it might be bennificial to a lower compression N/A motor setup, but not for a higher compression setup. The truth is that alumimum are best for performance, mainly for the weight bennifit. The weight of an alumimum head is not half that of a factory iron, more like 3/5ths.
If someone wants some great street heads for a mild setup or someone just getting started in modding, Thumper460's ported E7's are excelent. I don't give a rats ass what anyone says, I had them with the double valve springs and it pulled to the rev limiter, hung up many alumimum headed cars, just suprised people. Really woke the car up. Passed emmisions with flying colors, made great power, same as stock below 3000rpm but after that is was a different car. I sold them for $400, which I could have gotten more, when I put them up for sale they were sold in less than 24hrs. No, I didn't "upgrade" for the alumimum stuff, but going onto another level, 347, getting really serious street/strip, Im looking at AFR205's. I honestly regret selling the Thumpers. I have a 306 sitting in the garage, could have made a great motor for something else.
If your near stock looking to upgrade, don't want to hassel of a race engine, remember this, many alumimum heads require other parts to make them work (stud mount rockers, longer pushrods, different header bolts, ect) and most people end up having to swap the springs anyways. A set of TFS/AFR which are the best, will run you a minumum of $1500 all said and done. Most sit over $2-3K when all is said and done. Alumimum heads are more picky.