IRS to Solid Axle swap

jose.martinez

Jan 11, 2004
:shrug: I have a 2001 Cobra and I want to switch to a solid axle. I have no idea how to do this, so can someone give me a price estimate and how I can go about doing this. I live in San Diego if that helps any

• Sponsors (?)

jose.martinez said:
:shrug: I have a 2001 Cobra and I want to switch to a solid axle. I have no idea how to do this, so can someone give me a price estimate and how I can go about doing this. I live in San Diego if that helps any

Jose,

Are you mechanically inclined? Do you have tools and a place to work? If so the swap if a fairly simple one. I am half way through mine right now, just waiting for my garage to warm up so I can finish. You don't have that problem do you? :hail2: As far as cost goes it can be as expensive as you want. What you have to decide is why you are switching and what is it you want to in the end. Are you buying all new stuff or do you have a car to swap with. In the meantime do a search on svtperformance.com, there are plenty of threads on this topic as many people are doing the swap.

Good Luck!

Either of you guys interested in unloading the IRS? I'm in NorCal with a '97 Cobra. I'm interested in doing the reverse swap....if it's feasible. Will the 2001 IRS bolt in on my '97? For that matter, if you want an 8.8, I could provide mine: Superior axles, 3.55 FMS gears, Tru-Trak diff. Steeda upper control arms; Griggs lower.

If you swap with a pre 99 car, it will be shorter (wheels will be tucked in even more). If you can find a 99+ GT to swap with, it will be very easy. Swap everything out and you are golden....might even make some money on the IRS :nice:

If you are buying everything new it can get expensive. I did this as I wanted everything brand new...and upgraded. I purchased the solid axle assembly from Ford, then swapped out everything for 4.30 gears, 31 spline axles and diff, SVO uppers, Megabite Jr. lowers, new catback, shocks and springs, abs sensor cables, bolts....it all added up fast. I reused the Cobra brakes. Night and day difference...but it's in storage now so the real test will come this spring.

not only that but you have to change your cat back for solid axle exhaust

if you have any questions let me know just finished a friends 99 irs swap from a 99 gt.

.....i live in San Diego too!

need help let me know.

87gtboy1984 said:
hey jose i have a cobra with the solid axle and its great... 12sec67 helped me on it and we live in san diego even though i get ran by him :D any ?'s pm me or him thanks

was up man :D

can't wait to see how you'll run with the bottle. :nonono:

i'll have to retune my car :p

i'll try to win. but i know something will happen and i'll get dusted :D. let jesse know about it. and what else do i need for the kit ?

btw: good luck jose pm one of us if any ?'s