irs vs fully built solid axle

Torinalth

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Clayton NC
reading another post i had a thought... IRS has always been touted as the best rear end for cornering.... however how would it compare to the GTs stick with a panhard rod and trilink/TA?

not knowing enough about the IRS, my question is, would you still neeed a panhard rod, or a rotation management piece (TA)? seems i dont ever see any for them, so i am kinda dubious on this mark. I'd love to find a drag cobra and swap my stick for his live, but hard to find in NC. thoughts?

Torinalth

• Sponsors (?)

you do not need a panhard rod for a IRS. the nature of the design of the system does not necessisate one. however, a fully built solid axle can handle a road course as well or better than an IRS. just an example, American Iron allows 99+ mustang cobras to have a IRS, but the ones that are in the series have converted to a solid axle.

interesting.... so for a road car (nor road racing) that is run like a dog every day and is always rashing into the corners (must get stuff done fast). would that more necessitate the PHB/trilink or an IRS and be done with it? and how does cost compare... like i said, no kowledge of te IRS

Torinalth

you can get a used IRS out of an 03/04 cobra for about $800-$1000. the bad thing about the IRS is teh weight. also to make it really good for road racing, you would want to switch to Coilvers and also get the Kenny Brown/SHM tubular control arms.

personally i will be switching to a Panhard Rod/Torque Arm/deleted upper control arm setup eventually.

One of the greatest advantages of the IRS is the smoother ride, and the use of a higher spring (wheel) rate in the back. not really marginal in track testing when compared with heavy modding though

if i am reading up on the IRS correctly... it allows full articulation of each wheel individually... where i would not need to reaplace the upper or lower arms (really cant), just the bushings.

however my question comes when it drills to the panhard rod and torque arm. i'm not seeing these things as being made for it. what is so different (that i am missing) that would preclude the irs from benafiting from a PHB or TA.

Torinalth said:
my car will not be at the track, all street.. but i do hit the corners hard. think the price is worth it to buy a bare IRS and piece in my own LCAs and whatnot?

Torinalth

I'm wondering the same thing... I just found out my axle housing is bent, shop quoted me at $400 to fix it, doesn't seem worth it for the cost of an IRS swap/new built 8.8 :shrug:

Torinalth said:
my car will not be at the track, all street.. but i do hit the corners hard. think the price is worth it to buy a bare IRS and piece in my own LCAs and whatnot?
Torinalth
BennyDaBall said:
I'm wondering the same thing... I just found out my axle housing is bent, shop quoted me at $400 to fix it, doesn't seem worth it for the cost of an IRS swap/new built 8.8 :shrug:
If you're car isn't going to run at a track and only on the street you should go for the IRS swap. I can tell you guys running hard on unpredicted roads with bumps and cracks that a solid axle isn't ideal. Your car needs that independant absorbsion.