Is aluminum driveshaft worth it? 2V Mustang GT

Stangg338

Dec 17, 2019
Utah
Alright so I know we've all seen this mod pop up at some point in time and wondered if it really makes a difference or not. I am on the fence between buying one for my 2001 Mustang GT. At this point, anything helps with my car since it's a convertible with basically full bolt ons and cams haha. I do lots of street driving on the daily and drive my car hard in the city here and there but really like having fun with the car. Would a Ford Performance Aluminum driveshaft be worth it? Anyone have experience with them? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have had one in my 86 saleen for 10 years. It saved 9 lbs over the stock driveshaft. I thought when I swapped them the motor revved quicker. Currently I’m doing the clutch on one of my 96’s. I have an aluminum DS that will go back in. Haven’t weighed the different yet between the two but I will before it goes in. Hope to have it all back together this weekend so I can report back.

Reactions: 1 user
fwiw, I put one in mine when doing all my upgrades. Weight alone is a plus and didn't feel like putting new u-joints in an old driveline. With a lighter (ATC) flywheel and good clutch it is an excellent match. Can't remember the weight difference but it is quite a bit, plus it looks nice when under the car. :)

Is it worth it... Is there something wrong with your current one? If so, for the cost you can likely have your current one straightened, balanced and new u-joints done for same cost or less. 6 lbs weight savings will not likely do anything performance wise (unless we are talking full blown race car).

Aluminum driveshaft is usually larger diameter than stocker, so it will be a tighter fit.

For the mental placebo to say I have an aluminum driveshaft (or bragging rights at car show) - that's up to you.

I have nothing against them, just being devils advocate and giving the other side of the debate.

On both my 96 and my 86 the aluminum DS are the same diameter as the stock ones were. I’m am running an AWD aerostar DS in my 86. The 96 is a Ford Racing/Motorsport one. I picked both up cheap.

Reactions: 1 user