Is it necessary to drain the coolant when removing the intake manifold?

Is in necessary to drain the coolant (85 carbed) when changing an intake manifold gasket? I've got everything off the carb and labeled and now im ready to pull the manifold but when I looked in the Haynes manual it says to drain to coolant. Do I have to (dont want to go to the store to buy a hose to drain it with, lol)?

• Sponsors (?)

I didnt drain mine last time I took the intake and then the head off. Granted a lot came out because of the freeze plug having come out, but I dont believe its necesary. It happens everytime I have done the intake other than that i have had it drained.

Yes you should drain the coolant prior to pulling the intake, at least down to a level below the intake.

I usually pull the t-stat housing and try to blow as much coolant out of the intake before pulling it as possible. No matter what you do, some will spill into the engine. I use a shop vac to get it out of the cylinders and valley.

Just change the oil before your restart the motor. A new filter is not needed.

Technically no you don't, but the problem that will happen is you will spill coolant all over the place in the engine. You will have a huge mess on the floor, engine bay, inside the engine. So no you don't have to, but it might be in your best interest to drain the coolant.

Put it this way - the coolant will be drained one way or the other. You have a choice over where the bulk of it goes -- into a catch pan under the radiator drain valve, or into the lifter valley where it makes it's way into the oil pan. Your choice!