Is it possible that different octane fuels produce different exhuast tones???

Bosko5.0

May 18, 2006
longwood, FL
Well I came across this today when I was driving Home from the coast. I noticed that when my car was under load with 89oct that my exhuast seemed to be of a deeper tone rather then raspy as when I had 92oct in it.:shrug: I am running the same tune for both octanes.

Is this really possible to change exhuast tone with different Octanes or Am I going....:crazy:

Off topic I only got 148 miles to 3/4 of a tank :(

• Sponsors (?)

I notice my exhaust tone changes a lot, mainly in different weather since I don't change anything very often. I have noticed it changes when I adjust fuel pressure or timing. I even had someone comment on it one time. I'd just changed my timing and they said it didn't sound quite as loud.

I didn't adjust anything but maybe humidity had some to do with..

but it did sound better.

Dan I don't think it helped that I was passing people going lets just say 80:eek: :D

yesterday was the first time I filled the car up twice in one day. :eek: :jaw:

I would say "yes" to the different octanes causing different tones. If the fuel is still burning when the exhaust valve opens (higher octane) then you would get a different tone than if all of the fuel is burned when it opens. (lower octanes) It would be VERY subjective and VERY subtle, though. Since we are the types that pay attention to every little noise that our car makes, it would definitely be something you COULD notice. You would have to know your car very well. ;)