Is it worth it? $500 for an 88 turbo coupe

4turboho

Jan 31, 2009
i have a chance to buy an 88 turbo coupe for $500 and it has 168k it wouldnt start up today but i dont really car im going to rebuild the entire thing. he says the rear has 373 locker?(stock) i thought the came with 355 locker posi? so i can pay 5 for the whole car or 250 for the motor plus the comp.....do i really need anything else beside the motor and the comp to do the swap to a 91?.....and will the rear end bolt up with no mods, and do i have to change the entire master cylinder out too? What do you think?///has no intercooler either

That's a pretty good price...if it has a 3.73 rearend then it has an automatic transmission.

The rearend will bolt in, you wouldn't have to do anything with the master cylinder although I've been told the mustang's 3/16" factory brake line running to the rear is not ideal for rear disc brakes.

but it will work for now with no problems?

Hell yeah buy it!!!

For $500 bucks, if you don't want it, I'll buy it. LOL. Too bad it's an automatic, but I can change that quick. The stock TC top mount intercooler isn't the best anyway. Get a front mount.
Good computer = $75
Engine = $250 to $350 (possibly still has the turbo)
Disc Brake Rear= $250 to $350
You can sell the rest of the parts to make up some of the cost.
Kind of a no brainer to me.

i bought it last night and im pulling the motor and tranny tomorrow and ill pull the rear diff when the junk yard picks the car up the following day

It should...

BTW make sure you read one of the online articles about swapping rear disc into a Fox mustang. It's kind of important.

i can already tell im going to have problems i got the whole rear loose and ready to be pulled today and it looks like one of the lines is broken so this will be a fun one