Is it worth rebuilding this T5?

DarkMesa8

Founding Member
Oct 15, 2002
Orlando, FL
Budget only allows me to place my T5 behind my new 351W with AFRs, FTI Cam, TFR intake, exhaust, etc etc.

Budget will allow me in a few months to install G-Force internals.

In the mean time... the T5 already gives me a rare 2nd and 3rd gear grind when racing, and often grinds 2nd when cold. For the most part, I can drive it hard with no grinds at all, but every once and a while it shows its fatigue.

I'm considering throwing in a D&D rebuild kit myself, so that'd be just $180 something after shipping (I think). My pause, is that when the G-Force internals go in everything is going to be replaced anyways.

Will a rebuild give an extra time cushion before she blows up, or am I just wasting my money? Is the risk of blowing the T5 behind a high torque 351W during shifts, or midgear (can it actually shred a gear?).

I'm an easy race shifter (gas off, clutch in, change gear, clutch out, gas in... all very fast mind you)

• Sponsors (?)

I just spent 680 + 175 (on my first set of gears) on fixing my T-5. Well From what I have been told even after the G-Force Internals you will just crack the housing. I was talking to a guy from a speed shop over in Arlington, TX.

Invest your tranny money into something that you can can a nice precentage back quick. Thats how I even get a chance to mod (fix) my car. I buy stuff at my job and resell it on ebay. :nono: