Is my 85 Block A Roller Or Flat Tappet?? Other Block Questions...

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
the block with 68' heads turned out to be an 85..casting number E5AE on the side, thats 85 right? anyway the whole previous rebuilder didnt do a good job, is there a VIN number on this bare block that will give away the secret if its a 85 roller or flat tappet block? also i planned on buying a "performance" rebuild kit from northern auto parts ( northernautoparts.com ), but it is for 68-82 ONLY, this 85 block has the one piece rear mail seal also. Is it ok for me to buy the 68-82 rebuild kit for my 85? i dont have a problem buying a new rear main seal (i want a teflon one anyway), Thanks for all the help, sometimes there are too many choices and no one seems to carry a performance rebuild kit for the 85 block(i'd like better than stock oil pump, bearings, etc...and flattop hyperutectic pistons), Thanks and if there is a budget 331 stroker out there i'd definately be interested, or a better rebuild kit, i plan to spend around 500 on engine internals, i already have rebuilt GT40 Heads

~Mark~

• Sponsors (?)

the block with 68' heads turned out to be an 85..casting number E5AE on the side, thats 85 right? anyway the whole previous rebuilder didnt do a good job, is there a VIN number on this bare block that will give away the secret if its a 85 roller or flat tappet block? also i planned on buying a "performance" rebuild kit from northern auto parts ( northernautoparts.com ), but it is for 68-82 ONLY, this 85 block has the one piece rear mail seal also. Is it ok for me to buy the 68-82 rebuild kit for my 85? i dont have a problem buying a new rear main seal (i want a teflon one anyway), Thanks for all the help, sometimes there are too many choices and no one seems to carry a performance rebuild kit for the 85 block(i'd like better than stock oil pump, bearings, etc...and flattop hyperutectic pistons), Thanks and if there is a budget 331 stroker out there i'd definately be interested, or a better rebuild kit, i plan to spend around 500 on engine internals, i already have rebuilt GT40 Heads

~Mark~

I don't think the 85 are roller blocks. One way of finding out is in the oil valy under the intake. There should be 2 spots to mount the spyder hold down for the roller lifters. If you don't have that then it's not a roller.