• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Is my speedometer wrong?

  • Thread starter Thread starter buddyf87
  • Start date Start date Aug 11, 2005

buddyf87

Member
Jun 27, 2005
94
0
6
Clarksville, TN
Aug 11, 2005
#1
  • Aug 11, 2005
  • #1
Well I was driving to school this morning, and the radar detector started going off. I was doing about 50 (in a 45), so I played it safe and slowed to about 44 or 45. I come around the corner and it turns out it wasn't a cop but one of those stand-up speed things that displays your speed in big red letters. As I come up on it I look and it says I'm doin 51, even though the speedometer says I'm doin 44, 45 at the most. I double check both, and sure enough my speedometer was 5-6 mph off from that. I have stock gears (and everything else except shorties, o/r h and cai), so I don't know what the deal is. Even though it's only 5 or 6 off, regardless which is wrong, I usually cruise about 5 over, which they will let slide, but 11 is a different story. Just wondering whats going on.
 

94-302-vert

Active Member
Aug 16, 2004
1,947
2
36
NE CT
Aug 12, 2005
#2
  • Aug 12, 2005
  • #2
tire size is stock as well?

Are you sure it is all stock? What RPM's do you cruise at?
 

buddyf87

Member
Jun 27, 2005
94
0
6
Clarksville, TN
Aug 12, 2005
#3
  • Aug 12, 2005
  • #3
Yeah, stock tire size. I was in fifth so I was probably doing 1800-1900 rpm.
 

Black95GTS

Active Member
Jan 8, 2004
1,644
3
38
Marlborough, MA
Aug 12, 2005
#4
  • Aug 12, 2005
  • #4
buddyf87 said:
Yeah, stock tire size. I was in fifth so I was probably doing 1800-1900 rpm.
Click to expand...

With stock gears you can do "45" in 5th? I have 3.27s and I only slide it into fifth around 50ish. Are you sure you weren't in 4th?

That you were able to be in 5th, with a stock geared car, and not notice the engine stall, and were reading 45, leads me to believe you were actually higher then 45, more around the 55ish mark, especially at 1800 rpms.

- Adam
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
213
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
P
Electrical 1988 GT Wrong Cluster- causing electrical issues?
  • pindude80
  • May 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
370
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 6, 2025
pindude80
P
E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
248
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
manicmechanic007
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
348
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?