is the fox bodied ASC Mclaren rare?

Blakthorn

Jul 24, 2004
US
I was driving home from classes and spotted a white fox convertible. The top looked a little funky so I took a spin around the block, I immediantly noticed the rear tail lights were different and saw the ASC McClaren on the rear bumper.

I don't know much about these cars, except it looked pretty different, and it was white and had a For Sale sign in the window..

Can anyone shed some light?? What did I see and whats it worth?

• Sponsors (?)

Blakthorn said:
Whats the specs, whats different?

Mechanically, they are identical any other Mustang of the same year. They started off as Capris the first couple of years, then shifted over to Mustang coupes. ASC would chop off the top and install a Mercedes-style convertible top. The windshield was raked back five degrees and the interior was gutted. The front seats were replaced with Recaros and the rear was replaced with a package tray and the convertible top mechanism. On the exterior, they got a unique grille insert that said ASC McLaren, different tail lights and a rear spoiler. Since they are mechanically identical but much heavier than a standard Mustang, they're quite a bit slower.

A friend used to own one and sold it when he found out how expensive and hard to get the unique McLaren parts are.

CHECK IT OUT:

Ford thought they could sell Mustang GT's overseas for $70,000 a pop by changing a little here and there and calling it an ASC McLarean... but somehow the the public caught onto their little scheme.

there was a guy at the track last week, had an 87-89 lax hatch with a mclaren kit on it. said the guy who had the kit before (not sure if it was real mclaren or replica or what) was just gonna toss it cause he had no idea what it was. kid was smart and ******ed that sob up.

Here is a pic of one that was at our car show in August.

augustshow06056.jpg

Attachments

• augustshow06056.jpg
    augustshow06056.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 639