is there a difference between 94-95 and 2002-2004 rack and pinion

Fox_84

Dec 28, 2005
I am needing to know if there is a difference between the rack and pinion on a 94-95 and a 2002 rack and pinion? I can get a 95 model r&p for half the price I can get a 2002. They are both remanufactured. I am looking to get the car steering stiff instead of like a cadillac as the 93 steers now. I am putting all new everything including pump and lines. What setup would be best. all parts for a 95 or all parts for a 2002-2004? Will the pump for a 2002 bolt up on my car? What about the lines?

• Sponsors (?)

I think there are small differences. The 96+ rack is part of the hydroboost setup that operates the brakes off the power steering pump.

I also beleive there is a sensor in the 99+ racks to tell the EEC where the wheels are pointed that ties in directly with the traction control system.

One way to get firmer steering is if you have CC plates put the maximum caster you can get (i.e. pull the struts back as far back as the CC plates allow). Also, you can add the flaming river steering shaft for far better steering response than the stock crap.