is this cam too big?

jerry S

Sep 3, 2003
52.22N 5.12E
I have a 351W with Edelbrock Performer RPM alum cly heads, wiseco forged flat top pistons, and a holly 650 double pumper with vac. secondaries running 11:1 compression. What do you think about this cam shaft in my application?

lift: intake=538 / exhaust=534
duration at .50: intake=236 / exhaust=242
adv. dur: intake=297 / exhaust=308

• Sponsors (?)

jerry S said:
I have a 351W with Edelbrock Performer RPM alum cly heads, wiseco forged flat top pistons, and a holly 650 double pumper with vac. secondaries running 11:1 compression. What do you think about this cam shaft in my application?

lift: intake=538 / exhaust=534
duration at .50: intake=236 / exhaust=242
adv. dur: intake=297 / exhaust=308

I think it should work good, but im not a cam expert, but there are others on this board that are, hopefully they will chime in :nice:

How about calling the cam manufacturer and asking them :shrug: just an idea.

My bad

brianj5600 said:
Why pull out a custom cam for this one? What are your current specs?

this is my current cam. I should have been more clear on that. This cam already broke the springs on a Trick flow twisted wedge cyl head assembly before switching to the Edelbrocks. I was told that I am courting trouble with this cam if I really push the motor.

thanks for the advice

I was told by some schmuck holding himself out as an expert that my cam was too big. I know that when the builder was breaking in the rebuild on a dyno, he heard a spring breaking. Sure enough, an inspection revealed a busted spring. He felt that Trick Flows were not right for the cam and swapped them for the Edelbrocks. As for the carb, I don't understand the smirks regarding my description. My invoice reads as follows: "Carb - Holley 659 double pump, dual line, vacume secondary Qty: 1, price $369.53." I lifted my description from the invoice.

Can somebody explain me what is wrong with my description?

I also don't think it is too big.

I'd suspect a simple part failure was to blame and not the camshaft.

Double pumpers are mechanical secondary carbs. I have never seen a VS carb with a secondary accelerator pump. It really would not make sense to have a mechanical secondary pump with vac seconds.

Many people think that dual feeds make a carb a "Double Pumper" but that only means it is a dual feed.

HTH

what I found out

Max Power said:
What's the Holley part number Jerry. I would like to see this for my self.

Originally, my engine builder had a 4 bbl carb with mechanical secondaries on the engine. However, given the height of my Torker intake, the mechanical carb did not fit under the hood. The builder swapped it for the current carb (vac. secondaries) and it fits. He tells me that when he went into his computer to change the invoice, he didn't completely erase the entry for the previous carb. Instead, he changed the price and made a notation at the end of the part description that it was a carb with vac. secondary.

jerry S said:
However, given the height of my Torker intake, the mechanical carb did not fit under the hood. The builder swapped it for the current carb (vac. secondaries) and it fits.
umm.. mech and vac holley carbs are the same height. the only thing i can think of is that the air filter base may have hit the rear bowl. since vac holleys don't have a secondary metering block, the air filter base would fit then.

also, i would look for a different engine builder because of this quote: He felt that Trick Flows were not right for the cam and swapped them for the Edelbrocks
it's certainly not the heads fault for the broken spring (especially since people are running real cams with those heads for ages).

paul302 said:
also, i would look for a different engine builder because of this quote: He felt that Trick Flows were not right for the cam and swapped them for the Edelbrocks
it's certainly not the heads fault for the broken spring (especially since people are running real cams with those heads for ages).

.. mech and vac holley carbs are the same height. the only thing i can think of is that the air filter base may have hit the rear bowl. since vac holleys don't have a secondary metering block, the air filter base would fit then.

(fingers in my ears) la la la la I can't hear you!

stop putting the seeds of doubt in my mind! I want to believe. I want to believe. The next thing you are going to say is that the vac. carb should have been cheaper and not $30 more expensive than the mech. carb and then I am going to be awake all night thinking that........