Engine Is this vacuum line hose clamp normal?

ReefBlueGT

5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2018
California
While examining my engine bay before I go to the trouble of a vacuum and smoke test, I came across this on the line from the upper intake to the charcoal canister. There’s some kind of union piece where the lines meet, with a hose clamp on the end nearest the intake. I gave it a small tug and it wasn’t loose, but wondering if this is normal, or if it indicates a repair, possibly a half-ass one, was done at some point instead of just replacing the whole line...

271D87AF-1A32-40B0-8398-744436471126.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

There should be a coupler at that location. It allows you to remove the upper intake without having to dig under it to disconnect the vacuum line. The hose clamp is not normal though.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. So possibly the coupler broke and they used something else with the hose clamp for added strength. In a stock setup, is that coupler one of the typical vacuum fittings found elsewhere in the engine bay?

Was thinking of some of the connections on the RH side of the bay, like the white nylon couplers/tees on some of the emissions or AC lines. Can’t wait to get my smoke machine hooked up and see what all is leaking.

Interesting. So possibly the coupler broke and they used something else with the hose clamp for added strength. In a stock setup, is that coupler one of the typical vacuum fittings found elsewhere in the engine bay?
Yes it is normal to have one there. I recall seeing any other vacuum couplers in the engine bay. The vacuum port that hose connects to is a pain to get to on the bottom of the intake. Ford didn’t want to have someone fiddling under the intake trying to connect it when they installed the engine in the car so they added a coupler there to speed up the process. It’s been on every stock fox body I’ve ever seen and really helps removing and reinstalling the upper intake.

I would get new vacuum hose and a new coupler and replace it. The fuel vapors are rough on that hose and probably why it needed repair.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a closer look at it yesterday, removed the clamp, and took apart the hoses where they meet. There was a long, barbed connector inside, doubt its leaking. But there was some residue on the bottom side of the hose, I think from a small coolant leak off the heater tubes near there. What I didn’t like is that the hose was laying right on top of the engine block. That’s a lot of heat. So when I hooked it back up I at least got it up off there for now.