Its 10 below outside and my heat decided to stop working,..help!

PeteyAce

Jul 2, 2004
My heat hasnt always been blowing the warmest but warm enough to make my car bearable. But today my heat didnt even work at all, if i shut if off and turn it on for like 15 secs it starts to blow warm air then right back to cold. I think i have a vacuum leak but not too sure...help?

• Sponsors (?)

You may have a vacuum solenoid that's frozen or inop or a vacuum connection that is barely hanging on and not making a good seal.

Take a look at the connections behind the switch on your A/C panel. Also look for any broken vac lines under the hood and under the dash on the pass side. You'll also want to ensure that the moveable parts under the dash actually move and are not jammed up or binding.

Also you might need a higher degree thermostat. I'm new to thew subzero weather and when I bought a 160 from the local auto parts store the parts guy said My heater wont even melt the ice off the windshield.

And not to scare you but thats also a sign of a cracked block.

Well i never had problems with the block so i dont didnt its that, i think i need to change my thermostat, heat is not hot and the car isnt overheating just running really hot, i think its too cold for the car to overheat ill know within the hour when i change it.

check your radiator fluid. Make sure it is 50/50 or better. They sell antifreeze tester at walmart, autozone, etc for like 10 bucks. check and see the range of your antifreeze. Some of it could have frozent in the radiator in the block or could have messed up your thermostat.
check your oil to make sure there isn't any water in it. If there is its time to find a new block.

I must admit...

My car hates the really cold days... It wants to cough and sneeze and sometimes pass out while it's moving LOL. My car is like a newborn child with it's first time in the cold LOL Why? I have no clue