I've just witnessed a great car!

kttrucks

Apr 28, 2008
Tennessee
I had the chance to catch up with Brian Finch of Mt Juliette TN and his '67 cobra powered coupe. He did every stitch of the work and left no stone unturned, outstanding! Great paint, air ride suspension, 2003 Cobra drivetrane, shaved door handles, LED tail lamps... the car drives ad good as it looks.... brutally powerful with the ported Eaton blower and hand build headers, electronic tune... giant Brembo brakes, and seriously wide rubber out back. I dont have pictures, but a google search should yield some form of photos, an dI know he's got a website with pics up.... I'll dry to dig it up on my other computer.

Since I'm doing some of the same stuff with my '66 it's lit a fire under my butt! Now I cant wait to drive mine.... too bad its still in 800 pieces on the shop floor. LOL!

at any rate, if you guys ever get the chance to see Brian's car take a good look.... it's very well done!

KT.

• Sponsors (?)

I think this is the car:

home page

Some really nice and clean things done on this car. Not everything to my taste (not sure I dig the door panels or the console), but man that engine bay is clean, clean, clean :nice: Looks like a really well done build, am sure it rides as great as it looks. Very different build.

Interesting car. But, of course, I've got a few "Old Fart" grumbles......

1.) Interior door panels... meh. I think I'd rather see 94-04 treatment for the armrest.

2.) Console doesn't look all that bad; but I'm lazy! Would love to see a period "Hurst"-style shifter stick up there..... Bring that knob back to where my arm is naturally sitting on the armrest (that's the lazy part).

3.) It's not a Boss 302! Fer Gawdssakes, give me a GT500 or 'Super Snake' stripe across the hood, roof and decklid. White over a (say) Viper Blue would look very hot.

4.) Brakes brakes brakes!!!! Now that I'm only three years short of the half-century mark (and a Grandpaw); I'm all about being able to stop as quickly as I could theoretically go fast. Besides which, if'n you're gonna put big-azz wheels on the car, fill up the empty void with some big-azz brakes! It just looks like a 'DONK' otherwise. Sheese! :doh:

Otherwise, pretty cool car.

Interesting car. But, of course, I've got a few "Old Fart" grumbles......

1.) Interior door panels... meh. I think I'd rather see 94-04 treatment for the armrest.

2.) Console doesn't look all that bad; but I'm lazy! Would love to see a period "Hurst"-style shifter stick up there..... Bring that knob back to where my arm is naturally sitting on the armrest (that's the lazy part).

3.) It's not a Boss 302! Fer Gawdssakes, give me a GT500 or 'Super Snake' stripe across the hood, roof and decklid. White over a (say) Viper Blue would look very hot.

4.) Brakes brakes brakes!!!! Now that I'm only three years short of the half-century mark (and a Grandpaw); I'm all about being able to stop as quickly as I could theoretically go fast. Besides which, if'n you're gonna put big-azz wheels on the car, fill up the empty void with some big-azz brakes! It just looks like a 'DONK' otherwise. Sheese! :doh:

Otherwise, pretty cool car.

this young'n has some grumblings too...

1) your exactly right

2) your exactly WRONG that center console looks HIDEOUS in that car. just...:puke: sure a center console is nice, but its too high and built up to look good in the car.

4) mmmhmm

it is almost too dark for me. and it seems as if the interior is not finished. something about it just doesn't look right. I do like it, and there are some very cool ideas in it. I for one dig the center console and the double din stereo.

the console looks like a hackjob to me, probably one of the nicer accomplished hack jobs i've seen, but still a hackjob. it really needs to all be covered all in black or at least match whatever color it's upholstered in and the double din stereo looks out of place. the door panels are ok, but could be better. also i'm not a fan of mod motors, especially in a classic but that's the purist (tiny little guy) in me coming out and i absolutley hate M-II suspensions in classics even more!!!!!! other than that i like the car a lot, even with the mod motor and M-II suspension

Okay, I'll admit that the console would look 100% better wrapped in some black vinyl or leather; but the modern design 'fits in' fairly well. The double-DIN doesn't even bother me all that much.

Bryan, think about it, seanD did pretty much the same with his 67 (68?) Coog; except that he hand-built his console out of 1/4" rod, then skinned it, then went with a double-DIN flatscreen display. All people talk about is how he's an artist for for hand-building his updates. Gotta give him credit - his work is outstanding!

The console in this Mustang just looks (with a second viewand compared to Sean's) like it's..........unfinished.

I'm still thinking the door panels/armrests are a little too "minimalist" for my taste - but that's just me.

And, while I'm picking the car apart.....

One last gripe....

I tried to stay away from it....... but, with all the other griping, I've just gotta add that the "Slammed/BigWheels/DUBCity" look is just wrong!!! As far as I know; the Mustang had evolved into a performance car. When I look at the slammed stance and think about it on a track someplace; I can only think of a scene from the movie "Cars".

There's Tow-Mater dropping his chassis to the asphalt and leaving showers of sparks as his frame is scraped off. :lol:

Lift the friggin' car back up, please - that stance makes it look like a '69 Chevy Caprice on the boulevards of East L.A. :notnice:

One last gripe....

I tried to stay away from it....... but, with all the other griping, I've just gotta add that the "Slammed/BigWheels/DUBCity" look is just wrong!!! As far as I know; the Mustang had evolved into a performance car. When I look at the slammed stance and think about it on a track someplace; I can only think of a scene from the movie "Cars".

There's Tow-Mater dropping his chassis to the asphalt and leaving showers of sparks as his frame is scraped off. :lol:

Lift the friggin' car back up, please - that stance makes it look like a '69 Chevy Caprice on the boulevards of East L.A. :notnice:

gettin to be an ornery old F*k aren't we???

:D

Okay, I'll admit that the console would look 100% better wrapped in some black vinyl or leather; but the modern design 'fits in' fairly well. The double-DIN doesn't even bother me all that much.

Bryan, think about it, seanD did pretty much the same with his 67 (68?) Coog; except that he hand-built his console out of 1/4" rod, then skinned it, then went with a double-DIN flatscreen display. All people talk about is how he's an artist for for hand-building his updates. Gotta give him credit - his work is outstanding!

The console in this Mustang just looks (with a second viewand compared to Sean's) like it's..........unfinished.

I'm still thinking the door panels/armrests are a little too "minimalist" for my taste - but that's just me.

ya know the whole car reminds me a lot of Seans cougar, actually. but to be really honest i don't like Seans console all that much either.

i guess when it comes to the interiors of the mustangs and cougars i pretty much think Ford and Merc did just about the best that could be done with them, other than maybe seats, steering wheels and the fact the upscale cougars didn't have a "molded" door panel like the stangs did. other than that i think the stock interiors are about as good as they need to be, or maybe add in some shelby touches.

Best link I can think of...

...would be the thread Sean put up on MC.net to document the build of his Cougar. It's long, and 'picture-intensive'; but the amazing thing is to follow the timeline of his build - dude must be hyper-kinetic as well as an automotive artist.
So grab a Sammie or a Shiner (maybe two or three - you're gonna be reading for a while), and click below!

56k BEWARE!!!!

Be prepared to do a lot of :shrug: :nice: :hail2:

ya know the whole car reminds me a lot of Seans cougar, actually. but to be really honest i don't like Seans console all that much either.

i guess when it comes to the interiors of the mustangs and cougars i pretty much think Ford and Merc did just about the best that could be done with them, other than maybe seats, steering wheels and the fact the upscale cougars didn't have a "molded" door panel like the stangs did. other than that i think the stock interiors are about as good as they need to be, or maybe add in some shelby touches.

Yeahyeahyeah..... you weren't so enthusiastic about my idea of building up a 393 stroker C-motor for Kathryn; then putting '67-vintage "6.5L/GT" badges on her, either! :p

Wow tough crowd. I started out wanting a pro touring type car, but my age kicked in and wanted a little more period correct. The car looks great. Though it is not my style, it is still a well done car. I don't like big wheels, but it is hard to find any decent rubber for 15" wheels these days.

Wow tough crowd. I started out wanting a pro touring type car, but my age kicked in and wanted a little more period correct. The car looks great. Though it is not my style, it is still a well done car. I don't like big wheels, but it is hard to find any decent rubber for 15" wheels these days.

Don't misunderstand, the wheel diameter isn't as outrageous (IMHO) as the "fenders draggin' in the asphalt" look. Foose started a sad trend with that.

Personally, I'm jonesin' for a particular set of Vintage Wheelworks' GT/Cobra replica wheels; in 17" for the Cougar. I'm just thinking they'll look much better under the car's factory ride height!

Don't misunderstand, the wheel diameter isn't as outrageous (IMHO) as the "fenders draggin' in the asphalt" look. Foose started a sad trend with that.

Personally, I'm jonesin' for a particular set of Vintage Wheelworks' GT/Cobra replica wheels; in 17" for the Cougar. I'm just thinking they'll look much better under the car's factory ride height!

even though i have 17" wheels on the stang i prefer 15" wheels and have an old set of Riken "mesh" wheels that used to be on it that i'll be using on the 69 cougar and i'll probably also be buying a set of 15"x7" GT wheels as well just so i can have some variety and for car shows. i may , however, buy a set of late model 16" merc marquis "mesh" wheels to use for track days and i also have a full set of the stock 14" GT wheels, plus a spare, that i may have a couple of enlarged to a 15x9 wheel for a set of slicks too

Are you talking about the "lace" wheels (from a CV/Marquis) that yeloxr7 has on his... well... [color="YELLOW]Yellow XR7?[/color]

'Cause, if you are; those are my second choice; if I got to the late-model 'V6/GT' brakes (still bigger than the '73 discs up front). They can get by with the 16" rims (maybe a little grinding); but the 'Cobra' binders need a 17-incher to clear the calipers.

Are you talking about the "lace" wheels (from a CV/Marquis) that yeloxr7 has on his... well... [color="YELLOW]Yellow XR7?[/color]

'Cause, if you are; those are my second choice; if I got to the late-model 'V6/GT' brakes (still bigger than the '73 discs up front). They can get by with the 16" rims (maybe a little grinding); but the 'Cobra' binders need a 17-incher to clear the calipers.

yep. those are the ones. my Rikens are very similar to those already so they would be the perfect "track day" wheels to put some sticky rubber on and keep the Rikens for street driving so they don't get messed up so bad