GT500 fun, and a new whip

35thGTLimited

Mar 10, 2007
The Pocono's
My friends father just bought a GT500!! I went and saw it today, and he let me take it for a spin, it's great. Makes me miss my mustang, I sold mine, I now have a '95 Saab 900SE 2.0T. I needed something that I could commute with, and cheap to drive, and I'm cool with turning wrenches, cause I know how saab's can be, heh.

Anyways after driving this thing, now I regret selling the stang, I feel all sad now :rlaugh:
No doubt though, the difference is insane, I hadn't even had the chance to ride in, or drive a '03+ cobra, and I've always wanted to experience the nice stuff from our fella's at svt. Man, they did a great job, the acceleration is insane, gears are proper, shifts nice, and unlike every mustang I've ever driven, the drivetrain actually fealt really tight, and snug. Shifts were instant, solid, positive and very clean.
IMO ford should have done more with the suspension, but it's good considering.
The traction control is useless just as always, and of course defeatable by the switch up on the console. Also I wish they'd given it more "Shelby" touches, especially inside, but overall it's good, for the price I would have liked a little more though. I thought, right off the bat the weight would annoy me, cause we've all been talking about this so called "fat pig" for a while now, and I'd always assumed it must really hurt, but I admit it's not too noticeable. Plenty of power, gear ratios are perfect, brakes feel nice, it's all gravy, honestly doesn't feel its weight at all. The only complaint I have is the rear end design, but ford says it would have added 5k to the price tag for IRS. I'm not sure how big a deal it is to anyone who buys the car, stang ppl really seem to only care for straight line speed, and there's tons of that. The only thing I noticed was a little wheel hop when it spun hitting second, other than that it launched clean. But I didn't get the chance to really test it going into or coming out of corners, I'll assume tons of torque oversteer though ;) .

So, I really miss my mustang now, oh how I'd love to have uber strength under the hood like that! Ironically the Saab is quicker from a roll, and I never drag race, I prefer corner burning, that plus I wanted a car I can use for everything, including winter, I think I made a good buy, got it from a good friend, and he has the stang now, so it's in good hands. Anyways I may consider a new Stang when the next model is out and on the road, we'll see, for now I'm enjoying great handling and braking, and gas mileage.

Here's my new whip:
'95 900SE 2.0T

View attachment 381024
View attachment 381025

Stage 3 setup, piece by piece, custom FMIC, T3/4Hybrid turbo @ 22psi, abbott software, MBC, much more..Saab sport exhaust, fk suspension, brembo's and no-name drilled rotors, 18's, um, loaded with nice audio system, mostly stock looking inside except for the custom boost gauge and wood shift knob. It's supposed to be around 300whp, in some ways too much for a FWD car, but I love euro cars, always have, and it has a LSD so it puts it down fairly well, but obviously first and second gear are terrible, no traction at all. Anyways no worry I didn't sell out, Love stangs as much as ever, just need a car to commute very far, and for very cheap, hence, very cheap, and even tho it has all the extra boost, if the rpm's are kept in check, it's great, 34.6mpg this week on the highway, woot! Low mileage, and easy to work on, at least, IMO. It handles unbelievable well, braking power is no joke either, fantastic, and from a roll it's quicker than the stang was, naturally off the line isn't great, even with the LSD, a lil' 2.0 regardless of boost, doesn't do well off the line, in fact it's terrible until it hits around 3, then I get 22psi sustained.
So, I had to take a job, and get rid of the stang, but it went to a good friend, who'll keep it forever, and I'm happy I have a great car to commute with(i adjust dampers all the way open for commuting so my teeth aren't rattled out) that will save me cash, and I can still have fun. Besides, I've always liked Saab, as a DD, they're good, as long as ya don't mind wrenching, and sitting around waiting for parts, this is probably the worst part, although mine has all the service records and has been very well kept, so hopefully this will stay at a minimum.

So yeah, experiencing the GT500 is making me miss my stang, and it was a blast to drive, I wanted to post about it, I guess it's a big deal to me. It's my friends father that bought it, the guy that bought my stang, so now he and his father can cruise, go to numidia raceway, etc etc. And hopefully I'll have a new one in a few years, I'm in no rush, and I want a better car than the '99 was, I just can't stand a live axle, especially after driving the Saab for a few weeks, yeah I know, it has all the work done, but still, makes the stangs rear suspension seem far worse than it is, and it's bad.

Anyways, the GT500 was awesome, I can't imagine any other car coming close for the price, maybe a vette. The straight line speed is outstanding, after finally driving one, and having never experienced a '03/'04 Cobra, I finally understand now that you really must drive one to appreciate it. Gobs of power all throughout the rpm range, and ya really never need be concerned what gear you're in. I like the interior of the newer stangs, and exterior as well, although I'm not sure if I would spend that kind of money on a car, I think it's certainly worth it if that's what ya want. 500hp with a warrenty, can't go wrong, that is, if ya can afford it!

• Sponsors (?)

I guess ya really have to see it in person, but maybe it's just me, I dunno, to me it looks good even in the pics. But mostly I like them black because it matches everything, lots of black. But it did look pretty good with a polished silver wheel that was on it before I got it, but they were 16's, too small to hook up.
Before it was painted it would have been too much black IMO, cause the front and back bumpers were repainted, and the black molds in them were also, normally they're black like the one on the side. We put the Viggen spoiler on it when the paint work was done, also, I dunno, before I didn't care much, but now, with the bumpers done how they are, with the spoiler, these wheels just look good to me.
But I've always liked black wheels, I had black Konig's on my VR6 I had too. I really don't like chrome, maybe this is why I always wind up with black..

So let me get this straight...your 300WHP 3150 # saab is faster from a roll than a 440RWHP 3920# GT-500?????? You would need about 350WHP to match the GT-500 in acceleration.

But congrats on your riding in one....and yes get another stang :D