Jacking up rear end of car & diff

soctty7676

Apr 4, 2005
I am getting ready to replace the u-joints on my car. I used to always jack the car up using the rear differential. I have noticed that some newer cars in big letters say not to do this. Is it ok to do this on a '98 GT, then support the rear end with jackstands under the axles?

Thanks,
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Yolk - chicken precursor
Yoke - part of a hitch or union between two parts

Yes, it is bolted underneath the shaft, just before the base of the pumpkin. I'm not at liberty to take a photo, but do a search on here for gear installations or exhaust pics and you might catch a glimpse.

Jack on the axle tube one side at a time. Set jackstand under jack point on outer edge of car ahead of rear wheels. This way you can have the rear axle floating free if you need to raise/lower it to expedite the install you are doing.

Kilgore Trout said:
Jack on the axle tube one side at a time. Set jackstand under jack point on outer edge of car ahead of rear wheels. This way you can have the rear axle floating free if you need to raise/lower it to expedite the install you are doing.

I used the helmet on the diff housing in times past, but after reading the Bullitt article, I will change my ways.....As always, some good posting by KT