• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

JBA exhaust isues

  • Thread starter Thread starter blackgt460
  • Start date Start date Jan 22, 2008
B

blackgt460

Active Member
Jun 3, 2003
109
21
28
South East Pennsylvania
Jan 22, 2008
#1
  • Jan 22, 2008
  • #1
I have a JBA axle back on my 06 GT. I cant seem to get the passenger side exhaust to line up properly, it sticks out a bit furhter than the driver side and is a bit off center in the rear valance. I've heard of some of the same issues with JBA and other axle backs and possible hanger problems from Ford but I dont know. Also they gave me U-clamps with the kit and there is a tiny leak that I cant seem to seal with those clamps. Are U-clamps a proper set up for the slip fit exhaust or should I look into band clamps? Also does anyone else have a JBA axle back with any fit issues and possible any pics so I can compare mine just incase JBA makes them to stick out a little further than other brands. Any input is appreciated...Thanks!
 

gashog

Member
Dec 26, 2006
139
0
16
Fresno, CA
Jan 22, 2008
#2
  • Jan 22, 2008
  • #2
blackgt460 said:
I have a JBA axle back on my 06 GT. I cant seem to get the passenger side exhaust to line up properly, it sticks out a bit furhter than the driver side and is a bit off center in the rear valance. I've heard of some of the same issues with JBA and other axle backs and possible hanger problems from Ford but I dont know. Also they gave me U-clamps with the kit and there is a tiny leak that I cant seem to seal with those clamps. Are U-clamps a proper set up for the slip fit exhaust or should I look into band clamps? Also does anyone else have a JBA axle back with any fit issues and possible any pics so I can compare mine just incase JBA makes them to stick out a little further than other brands. Any input is appreciated...Thanks!
Click to expand...

I can't help you with the fitment issue, but as far as the leak around the u-clamps. I know I had the same leak and ended up tightening the **** out of the clamps. That worked alright, but still could hear a leak. I ended up getting a sleeve style clamp which worked like a champ (similar to where the mid pipe connects to the rear of the exhaust).
 
B

blackgt460

Active Member
Jun 3, 2003
109
21
28
South East Pennsylvania
Jan 22, 2008
#3
  • Jan 22, 2008
  • #3
Thanks alot for the help, I think I will go with the band clamps once I feel like climbing back under there. Luckily I cant actually hear the exhaust leak I can just feel it so I guess its not the biggest deal but I like things done right since its a new car. Any idea about the hangers? Are there front and rear ones or are all 4 identical, thats the only thing I can think of with the fitting issue I'm having....that or JBA was just a bit off on their hanger welds.
 
O

o0Dan0o

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2001
485
1
0
Jan 22, 2008
#4
  • Jan 22, 2008
  • #4
Some have had to loosen the clamps at the mid-pipe to align the tips to the valance. I would give that a try, helps to have someone with you.
Dan
 

gashog

Member
Dec 26, 2006
139
0
16
Fresno, CA
Jan 22, 2008
#5
  • Jan 22, 2008
  • #5
Yeah, also now that you mention it. I had to tweak the hangars to get them to fit just right. I'm sure you could bend the hangars 'forward' towards the front of the car to get them to sit back further. Its hard to do, but very possible. Mine didn't quite line up side to side under the bumper cutouts so I stuck a broom stick inside the tip and just worked on bending it to align it. I thinking hammering/test fitting is what you need to do. How much is it sticking out?

Bend them like this:
View attachment 335326
 
B

blackgt460

Active Member
Jun 3, 2003
109
21
28
South East Pennsylvania
Jan 22, 2008
#6
  • Jan 22, 2008
  • #6
Id say theres about a half in difference between the two. I know its not much but when your the owner it stands out like a sore thumb. Plus its not exactly centered in the valance, kinda off to the left. I think Im going to order a pypes off road h pipe, take a day over the weekend and just do the best I can with everything.
 
V

VistaBleu82

New Member
May 21, 2007
1
0
0
Jan 23, 2008
#7
  • Jan 23, 2008
  • #7
I've been thinking about buying JBAs... Other than the fitment issues, are you happy with the looks/sound? A few clips I found on YouTube sounded awesome.
 
B

blackgt460

Active Member
Jun 3, 2003
109
21
28
South East Pennsylvania
Jan 23, 2008
#8
  • Jan 23, 2008
  • #8
Yes, once I get everything lined up properly I will be 100% satisfied. I recommend them, they have a deep aggressive tone and real clean sounding. I can just say take your time and line them up properly and you should be satisfied.
 
S

sportsroof69

Founding Member
May 21, 2002
231
0
16
Huntsville, AL
Jan 23, 2008
#9
  • Jan 23, 2008
  • #9
I had a problem with mine resonating from the joint and the rear hanger on the left muffler was hitting sheet metal. I cut 3/4" off the end of the hangar which solved that problem. I replaced the crappy U-bolt clamps with 1" wide band clamps but still had to "fix" stuff so they would compress the slip joint enough. I cut 3 slots longitudinally; one up from the U notch, and 2 more 120 degrees out from there (roughly). The new slots were around 1-1/8" long and as wide as the cutting wheel which was maybe 1/16" or a little more. Then I drilled a hole in the clamp so the alignment pin would have a place to go, otherwise, the pin kept the clamp from squeezing the tube. I've noticed a little difference in the way they sit but haven't "massaged" the hangers yet. They sound great compared to most mufflers, imo. I was torn between the JBA's and the Bassani's. The JBA's are quite a bit cheaper.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
88
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
Exhaust Exhaust resonance
  • keel
  • Jul 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
318
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 11, 2026
keel
C
Need MIL Eliminators?
  • crazyone64
  • May 18, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
248
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech May 21, 2026
GOvert
G
Problems after exhaust install and 02 harness
  • djj62478
  • Jul 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
39
Views
737
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
L
Is catback worth it over axle backs?
  • Lorencarson
  • May 15, 2025
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
741
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- May 15, 2025
89ripper
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?