Jeep question

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
Not a mustang, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway.

We have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. The battery in the remote lock thingie (key fob) is dead. Is that something that we can replace the battery in ourselves? Or will it have to be re-programed and we should take it to the dealer?

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

If Jeeps are anything like my 2000 Mustang GT it shouldn't be worth a trip to the dealer. Open the fob and find out what size battery replace it and test it. I beleive the receiver in the vehicle will recognized the fob. It works on RF the new fobs transmit on a certain frequency which the receiver in the car is programmed to recognize. and once programed the receiever will not loose the programming unless someone tampers with it or attempts to reprogram it.

On my mustang you had to turn the ingitionswitch backand forth a few times until you got a message on the odometer then push a combination of buttons on the fob and that was it. I bought a replacement fob off ebay for like 20 bucks it cam with the directions. You could probably find specifics on a jeep forum.