July 2005 Car And Driver

trent_ky

Mar 30, 2005
Everyone be prepared to look out for the cover story on the July issue of car and driver.

You probably have guessed already but the story is about their first drive of the 2007 GT500.

Here's some quick points I got from the article. (Most of this is their estimations based on what ford told them before they drove it and what they think was more accurate).

0-60: 4.0s (at least)
1/4 mile: 12.5@116
top speed: 160
475 hp
450 tq
~$39000

These are just a few details from the article and most of the things that i listed are already known.

• Sponsors (?)

GOLDENPONY said:
Mustang GT killed the Camaro now the Ford GT 500 is going after Corvette

Perhaps. The GT 500 is simply a brute-force car. The Vette is in another league entirely. It is a much more sophisticated sports car than any Mustang will ever be.

Not that there's anything wrong though with pure brute force :)

jfischer said:
Perhaps. The GT 500 is simply a brute-force car. The Vette is in another league entirely. It is a much more sophisticated sports car than any Mustang will ever be.

Not that there's anything wrong though with pure brute force :)

Well...you really need to read the article...i will just say that much. The C6 Z06 will have 505 horses. The GT500 will already blow away the regular C6 but the GT500 (being supercharged) will be easily modded to the 505 horsepower mark.

Different class :YES
A league above: NO

trent_ky said:
The GT500 will already blow away the regular C6 but the GT500 (being supercharged) will be easily modded to the 505 horsepower mark.

I don't doubt that, and the GT500 will probably outperform the Vette in a straight line. I have little doubt that the 'Vette will probably outhandle and outclass the GT500 in almost every other category though.

If someone were to offer me the choice between a free GT500 or a C6 Vette, I'd have a tough time making that decision. They're both sweet cars (or going to be when released).

Nick85 said:
Why does everyone worship the ground that a Vette treads on? I think they look straight guido and are also very nineties....GT500 all the way :nice:

The GT500 is a nice looking car as well. Have you been anywhere near a 2005 Corvette? IMHO anyway, they are one sweet ride. 400HP, awesome styling, nice interior, well balanced chassis and handling that the Mustang can't come close to (but then again it costs 2x as much).

If I end up getting something to replace my 2002 Z28 it will probably be a new Mustang, but if I had the extra $$$ I'd be all over a 2005 Corvette - I dig 'em.

Not bashing the 2005 Mustang, it's a great car too and 1/2 the price of the Corvette. Bang for the buck, the Mustang GT is still unbeatable...

Today, 09:08 AM #4
GOLDENPONY
Super Stanger

My Garage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mustang GT killed the Camaro now the Ford GT 500 is going after Corvette The Camaro and Firebird would still be around if the priice was not $5000-$10,000 more....Back then the Camaros had 315 or so Hp and the Mustangs gts had around 215hp with a V8.I know i had one.I loved the last 2 years of the Pontiac TransAm with the hood scoop and it blew the stangs away everytime but the car was going for around $33,000 back then. :)

What killed the Camaro and Firebird was price like Johnny says I can't remember what the vette cost at the same time but I think it was like 10 grand or just a bit more, so when it came to buying one and your in that dealership and looked at the camaro and beside it was a vette for 10-12 grand made it hard to sell and with it went the Trans am I really liked those last few years of the TA's too SS's were just to plain for me styling wise...just my 2 cents

trent_ky said:
Well...you really need to read the article...i will just say that much. The C6 Z06 will have 505 horses. The GT500 will already blow away the regular C6 but the GT500 (being supercharged) will be easily modded to the 505 horsepower mark.

Different class :YES
A league above: NO

Blown away? I assume no real testing was done with the new GT500, based on what was said above. If 12.5@116 is the average, the quarter mile times will be close with the regular Vette. A few good drivers have run 12.4-6's at 113-115 in stock C6's (second hand net info). Best time posted was [email protected], bone stock Z51. Handling with a Z51 optioned C6, I don't believe the heavy GT500 will come close. Being over on the Vette forum, looks like a few prelimanary runs with the new Z06 has it hitting low 120's in the quarter. One run was 12.0X@123. Straight line I believe will go to the Z06 with perhaps the GT500 taking the standard C6 with equal drivers and conditions. Of course nobody really knows since it ain't out yet. I hope it gives the Vette a run for its money, stock for stock that is. A modified one is going to fly in a straight line.

trent_ky said:
I wasnt talking about the GT500 blowing away the Z06...just the 400 hp C6

I understand that but I still don't think it will blow away the standard C6 (based soley off what Car and Driver stated). The only area where I could see a stock GT500 beating a stock Z51 equipped C6 would be straight line and that might come down to driver. At least two regular drivers have run in the 12.4's at 114-115 bone stock with a regular Z51 equipped C6. If I'm wrong, that's awesome for the GT500.

Yea hated the Camaro SS with that orange stripe on it,but loved the last few years of the TransAm.Nice cars but was not going to pay $33,000 for one.Car and Driver,Motor Tread always had the Stangs up against the GMs but FORD always lost never won.Ohhh the Vetts were around $37,000-$43,000 back then...............