Just bought my first Fox, and I need some exhaust and gearing help.

MYSTICSVT

Founding Member
May 16, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
I just bought my first Fox body. It's a super-clean, loaded 5.0 LX hatchback with an AOD, 2.73 gears, and 54,000 original highway(I bought it from the original owner, who used it to visit his family in California once a month) miles.

Here's my questions:

Group 1) This thing is too quiet. So I'd like to put on a Flowmaster American Thunder Catback and maybe an off-road H or X pipe. Is there any RWHP to be gained by going with an off-road pipe? Should I go with an H or an X? Will the offroad pipe set any codes or cause any driveability issues?

Group 2) This thing is also a slug. What gears should I go with? It's definately got a 5spd swap in its future, so keep that in mind. I also have a history of using N2O as well. So I don't want to go too deep in gearing. My main issue right now is, what gear will give it good off-the-line punch without making the trans hunt between drive and overdrive constantly around town?

Thank's in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

There is HP to be gained with a O/R H or X pipe. There is basically no difference in HP between the two unless people want to argue about a couple HP. The X pipe is more raspy and the H pipe has more rumble. IMO they both sound good. The O/R pipe will not set off any codes. Auto's can be pretty fun with a shift kit and 4:10's. But if you want to do the 5 spd. swap the common rule for great performance and good driveability would be 3:73's. If you want to do nitrous I'd say that ZEX makes the safest systems.

The automatic overdrive REQUIRES 4.10's. :D There is no better gear (except maybe 4.30's if you have an engine that can use them). It also requires a shift kit AND a proper torque converter. Those 3 things will make an AOD into a 5 speed killer.

As for exhaust....I'd do this...

MAC Shortties - Equal or unequal your choice. Unequal are a pain inte butt to install. Next time I'm going unequal. The difference in power is 2-3 hp. No big deal.

MAC Off-Road Pro-Chamber 2.5"- It makes the most HP and Torque of any off-road mid-pipe. Tested true in 5.0 Mustang.

MAC 2.5 Cat-Back - The new version with the stainless tips is sweeeeet!!

This setup will sound awesome and unleash some power.

Go with 373's since your doing a T5 swap soon...that is a good all-around gear...

If money isn't much of a problem just get some longtubes (if you plan on h/c/i) in the future with a matching offroad H pipe and some flows or Mac flowpaths...

Good Luck with your choice :nice:

5spd GT said:
Go with 373's since your doing a T5 swap soon...that is a good all-around gear...

Swaping to a T5, IMO, would be foolish. AOD is a great tranny when it's set up correctly. Truth is, it's stronger than any T5 ever thought about being.

Everyone is always like "Swap out the AOD. It's junk!" That's total, absolute B.S.!! If you want to go REALLY fast, you want an automatic. If you ever ride in a car with a properly setup automatic, you will never want a stick shift again.

Stock for stock, 5 speed rules. Fixing the shortcomings of the AOD, AOD is king.

The AOD with all of those components would be a good transmission without a doubt, but will get expensive. I'm still going to say stick with the 3:73's if you're going to go through with the swap. IMO 4:10's are too steep for a street driven 5 spd. unless you don't mind playing with gears all day.

tjm73 said:
Swaping to a T5, IMO, would be foolish. AOD is a great tranny when it's set up correctly. Truth is, it's stronger than any T5 ever thought about being.

Everyone is always like "Swap out the AOD. It's junk!" That's total, absolute B.S.!! If you want to go REALLY fast, you want an automatic. If you ever ride in a car with a properly setup automatic, you will never want a stick shift again.

Stock for stock, 5 speed rules. Fixing the shortcomings of the AOD, AOD is king.

Umm...I didn't say it...the original poster said he was doing a 5spd swap...hence my post above...

Just to let you know...my car is an AOD-5spd convert :D ...no regrets...

5spd all the way...you can do it cheaper...do a search and you will see why people do the AOD-5spd swap...cheaper to maintain and quicker E.T.'s...

Automatics are better when you get some fast cars (11.5's and down)...but anything above that usually warrants a 5spd for best results if you can drive...

Well if your going to upgrade the AOD...why can't we upgrade the 5spd :shrug: ...doesn't sound to fair...

87GT 306 said:
The AOD with all of those components would be a good transmission without a doubt, but will get expensive. I'm still going to say stick with the 3:73's if you're going to go through with the swap. IMO 4:10's are too steep for a street driven 5 spd. unless you don't mind playing with gears all day.

My thoughts exactly...

5spd GT said:
Umm...I didn't say it...the original poster said he was doing a 5spd swap...hence my post above...

Just to let you know...my car is an AOD-5spd convert :D ...no regrets...

5spd all the way...you can do it cheaper...do a search and you will see why people do the AOD-5spd swap...cheaper to maintain and quicker E.T.'s...

Automatics are better when you get some fast cars (11.5's and down)...but anything above that usually warrants a 5spd for best results if you can drive...

Well if your going to upgrade the AOD...why can't we upgrade the 5spd :shrug: ...doesn't sound to fair...

My quoting you was a goof on my part. I was going to say something else, but realized I had misread what the original post said. My bad.

On a different note....

I have to say I disagree with your thoughts on the 5 spd. I feel the automatic is better no mater what the power level. Provided the auto is setup correctly. More gear is only good to a point. But that's just a difference of opinion. And we all know what they say about opinions.

I'm thinking I may go the other way. T5 out, AOD in.

tjm73 said:
My quoting you was a goof on my part. I was going to say something else, but realized I had misread what the original post said. My bad.

On a different note....

I have to say I disagree with your thoughts on the 5 spd. I feel the automatic is better no mater what the power level. Provided the auto is setup correctly. More gear is only good to a point. But that's just a difference of opinion. And we all know what they say about opinions.

I'm thinking I may go the other way. T5 out, AOD in.

No problem...I was wondering...

I disagree for the opposite...if the AOD is allowed to be set up right why can't we set up the 5spd right? Not the best comparison...

Well I think 373's is as far as anyone should go on a daily driven 5.0 whether it be a 5spd or auto...so the gears have no bearing on my decision whether to be 5spd or auto...

The only time I wish I had an auto was in stop and go traffic...

A 5spd swap has good advantages...less weight, quicker E.T's, more power to the wheels because less drivetrain "drag", and funner in most people's "opinions", easier to rebuild...etc...

I put 3.73's in my 93 vert with AOD this spring. All I can say is "wow"! I shoulda done it years ago. A significant increase in off the line power but still pleasant on the highway.

I too wonder about whether or not emissions inspections are required (or will soon be) in your part of AZ. Something to consider when you're thinking about eliminating cats.

Like others I say 3.73's - you'll feel the difference, and if you go with a manual/nitrous in the future, you'll be set.

"Swaping to a T5, IMO, would be foolish." from TJM. Far and away the biggest issue on the manual vs. auto question is personal preference. It's a subjective choice. You can only make the right decision for yourself. I've never owned an automatic - and won't unless/until I can't drive a manual. Easy choice for me - not cause there's anything wrong with an AOD. I just prefer to do my own gear selecting with a clutch.

Sorry AOD guys. I'm definately doing a swap. 5 speeds are just WAY more fun to drive.

As for emissions, we do have it here. However it only has to be done every 2 years. I can swap the stock H-pipe back in for that.

Is there any fitment problems with the MAC stuff? Their catted H-pipe didn't fit worth a darn on my 96 Cobra.

MYSTICSVT said:
Sorry AOD guys. I'm definately doing a swap. 5 speeds are just WAY more fun to drive.

As for emissions, we do have it here. However it only has to be done every 2 years. I can swap the stock H-pipe back in for that.

Is there any fitment problems with the MAC stuff? Their catted H-pipe didn't fit worth a darn on my 96 Cobra.

I've never had problems with Mac except for my old equal lengths...a prybar fixed that :) ...on my 2000 Gt I had no problems and in my opinion that car is the best sounding mustang I've ever heard :shrug: (Prochamber w/ Mac Flowpaths :hail2: )...

5spd GT said:
I've never had problems with Mac except for my old equal lengths...a prybar fixed that :) ...on my 2000 Gt I had no problems and in my opinion that car is the best sounding mustang I've ever heard :shrug: (Prochamber w/ Mac Flowpaths :hail2: )...

How loud is it with that setup? My wife and Rug Rats use this car every day. So it can't be too obnoxious.

MYSTICSVT said:
How loud is it with that setup? My wife and Rug Rats use this car every day. So it can't be too obnoxious.

Hmm...well it is hard to say how loud it is without something to compare it to...it is not quite as loud as my 5.0 (equal length, offroad H, 2 chamber flowmasters)...but close...

Alls I know is that I loved the sound and my friends do to...I (at one point) was getting a compliment a day on that exhaust on how good it sounded...but on my 5.0 I get that it "sounds good/mean" or it is "loud"...

The drone could get annoying (I believe it was right at 2000rpm - which is 70mph on the interstate)...but like I said I loved it...your wife might get tired of it...

I wish I still had it... :(

Edit: As I'm sure you know the SOHC 99+ 4.6 has a different sound to it than the 5.0 does so it won't give the same sound...a buddy I know has a 94 GT with Mac longtubes, prochamber, and mac flowpaths and it sounds real good...but it doesn't quite have the sound of the 4.6...I'm a believer of Mac... :shrug:

In your original post you said you wanted a gear that wouldn't make the AOD hunt between D and OD around town. You really shouldn't use Od in town anyway. Most guys with an AOD leave them in D until reaching cruising speeds on the highway then manualy shift into OD. All of that shifting back and forth in town is hard on the OD band.

tjm73 said:
MAC Shortties - Equal or unequal your choice. Unequal are a pain inte butt to install. Next time I'm going unequal. The difference in power is 2-3 hp. No big deal.

I think he meant to say that equal length shorties are a pain in the butt to install. I'm not speaking from experience here as I have installed neither, but that seems to be what everyone else says - equals free up a bit more power, but are hard to install.

Nice choice on going with the manual by the way. Much more fun to drive, and automatic = anesthetic. :D

The Shape said:
In your original post you said you wanted a gear that wouldn't make the AOD hunt between D and OD around town. You really shouldn't use Od in town anyway. Most guys with an AOD leave them in D until reaching cruising speeds on the highway then manualy shift into OD. All of that shifting back and forth in town is hard on the OD band.

I currently have the wife trained to NOT use OD in town. I figured that with a much lower gear set though, that I would HAVE to use OD in town. Or face a big drop in fuel mileage. Am I correct in that thought?