Just bought the Porter Cable 7424

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
Who has this DA polisher? What do you think of it? I just bought it and a bunch of pads... I plan to attempt to get my paint back to where it should be with it.. Hopefully, it'll do the job..

• Sponsors (?)

I absolutely love mine. Mine was originally the DA sander, but a simple back plate change and ta da!
I will never go back to polishing by hand. In fact, about the only product that I apply by hand still is my LSP; polishes, glazes, and even some sealants get the PC.

How is it compared to the $30 ones you find in Pep Boys??? I had a problem applying paint cleaner and swirl remover with the cheap orbital. The bonnet kept popping off and the motor couldn't keep up... It would drown out... I am expecting mine to show up today on my door step...

reeber said:
How is it compared to the $30 ones you find in Pep Boys??? I had a problem applying paint cleaner and swirl remover with the cheap orbital. The bonnet kept popping off and the motor couldn't keep up... It would drown out... I am expecting mine to show up today on my door step...

no comparasion at all. the $30 ones are only good for putting on wax and removing it. and dont be afraid of rpms. i run mine at full speed unless im putting wax on.

Figment is correct, there is no comparison. You might as well apply your products by hand than with one of those $30 "buffer/polishers" because you'll get the same results and waste less of what you are applying.

Well, I got it in the mail yesterday... Now, I need the temperatures to go up above freezing!! I am anxious to give this thing a shot.. .Thanks guys for all your input!! You all really helped a lot!!!! I'll take before and after pics of the paint and post...