Just Got the Best MPG I've Ever Gotten

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
Just got back from the Outer Banks here in NC. It's about a 105 mile straight-shot all the way from the beach to home (US HWY 64), with the speed limit varying between 45 and 70, although about 75% of it is 55 mph. Traffic was not an issue, and I only had to stop at 2 stop lights. I kept the rpm below 2400, and the vacuum under 10 inches, and, obviously, used the cruise control the whole way.

Wound up getting 28 MPG. :eek: That was definitely the best I've EVER gotten, even when the car was bone stock.

:banana:

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the tune I feel like has more to do with it than anything. Fastlane is a VERY reputable Mustang shop; they made me one awesome tune, pulling a good amount more power out of my setup than I expected, and getting this kind of mpg. Can't beat that.

I'm still running the stock 3.27s. I'm still a little weary of of 3.73s and the effect they'll have on my mileage, but heck, even if I lose several mpgs, that still leaves me at 24+. 3.73s would GREATLY help me out at the track, and I've heard city mileage can go up because it's less of a load on the motor (mechanical advantage).

I'm slowly talking myself into doing it...lol. I've already priced installs at a few shops in the area. We'll see....

I'd be perfectly happy with 23-24 at 75 with 3.73s.

I got less than 13 mpg a few tanks ago. It was entirely city driving, and my foot was in it EVERY time I stopped, lol.

I did the same thing because I got my SCT Tuner and was always driving it quickly cause all the friends wanted to go for a ride in it lol...
Oh and the 23-24mpg I used to get with 3.27's. I have yet to see what the highway mpg is bc I had been driving the car with the speedometer untuned with the 3.73 gears...

I checked my highway mileage a couple years back when I went on a long roadtrip. With the cruise control at 78mph I got 28mpg (stock 3.55's). I was really curious if the stories I heard about the good mileage was true. Definitely.

28 MPG is pretty sweet, especially for an auto with a blower!

On the highway, it's mostly about low RPMs and not having to stop or slow down much - getting back up to speed again kills what ever efficiency you've achieved.

I cracked 30 MPG once headed to the beach - 4 hours of almost nothing but interstate between my house and the Gulf Coast with 2:73:1 gears, no stops for food or bathroom breaks, hardly any traffic and no construction. The stars lined up just right on that trip. Mid to high 20's isn't unusual for a tank of nothing but highway driving but city driving brings the average down fast and I have a hard time getting over 18.5 MPG in town.

I have seen 19mpg out of the 99 on the last few tanks. Mostly city driving though, and I can't keep my foot out of it. When my friend and I drove to Dallas to get my wife's 67 my 91 knocked out 23mpg, I was blown away, and that was before I fixed a bunch of little problems on it.

That is some pretty awesome MPG.

I just took a 400-something mile round trip and averaged 20-21mpg mostly interstate at 70mph... don't know WTF is up with that, that used to be a recipe for 25mpg in my car.

I got 31 mpg in my car once under similar circumstances. In my case, it was an experiment. I was not in a rush, knew I wouldn't have to stop for anything, and wanted to see what kind of fuel economy the car could get under ideal conditions. I set the cruise control for 55, put on some tunes, and the car got 31 mpg.