Just picked up, 2010 GT. Stiff clutch, hard to shift?

Ahnt

Feb 22, 2020
St. Louis
I just picked up a 2010 GT yesterday and have been enjoying it since. The last Mustang I had was an 02 GT, so I'm kinda used to how the clutches feel and what not.

Anyways, its all original from what I was told / feel. However, shifting requires the clutch to be 100% to the floor (no short stroking at all) to switch gears, and the clutch is way heavier than I've ever had. Its not unusable, but shifting is a PITA.

Is this a normal issue with S197's or could something be wrong?

• Sponsors(?)

racerraj

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Dickson, TN
My 06 GT has an easy clutch pedal and I don't have to get all the way to the floor to shift. Way easy to shift than my Fox Body. Something must be off.

Sycostang67

Sep 27, 2019
Kuna, ID
Same here, I only need to push all the way to the floor to start my car. These hydraulic systems are usually self adjusting, I'd probably start by checking the fluid level and inspecting all the moving parts for abnormal wear.

Mycelus

Nov 20, 2016
You could look into a helper spring for the clutch pedal? I would give it some time to get used to it. If it's still too stiff, look into a spring :)

Ahnt

Feb 22, 2020
St. Louis
Sorry for the lack of replies. I guess I'm getting used to it, as it seems to be getting easier. Getting in to first can be tricky, because the clutch has to be 100% to the floor. Every other gear I can just 60-70% it to the floor and it's good.

About the only issue I have now is being locked out of 3rd at high rpm, but I hear that's more just a stock shifter thing.

Red_LX

I’m not much help unless you’re looking for ****!
Mod Dude
Nov 29, 1999
Morgantown, WV...where couches meet their doom
I think that's an issue with the hydraulic slave cylinder and its limited range of travel. Mine was sometimes like that too. Possibly your throwout bearing/slave cylinder needs a shim under it, but you have to pull the transmission to be able to access it.

Ahnt

Feb 22, 2020
St. Louis
I'm currently trying to get in contact with the previous owner (19k miles to 108ish K miles) just to see what has been done to the car. Other than a muffler delete, I don't see anything aftermarket. Not even a drop in filter. Not sure on tune however. I've ran 93 octane since I picked it up and it feels great. I don't have a tuner to verify its a stock tune. Not sure there is any real way to tell.

To me it feels like a stiff clutch compared to what I'm used to, but it grabs very well. So I can't complain about that.