Just picked up, 2010 GT. Stiff clutch, hard to shift?

Ahnt

Feb 22, 2020
St. Louis
I just picked up a 2010 GT yesterday and have been enjoying it since. The last Mustang I had was an 02 GT, so I'm kinda used to how the clutches feel and what not.

Anyways, its all original from what I was told / feel. However, shifting requires the clutch to be 100% to the floor (no short stroking at all) to switch gears, and the clutch is way heavier than I've ever had. Its not unusable, but shifting is a PITA.

Is this a normal issue with S197's or could something be wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

Same here, I only need to push all the way to the floor to start my car. These hydraulic systems are usually self adjusting, I'd probably start by checking the fluid level and inspecting all the moving parts for abnormal wear.

You could look into a helper spring for the clutch pedal? I would give it some time to get used to it. If it's still too stiff, look into a spring :)

Sorry for the lack of replies. I guess I'm getting used to it, as it seems to be getting easier. Getting in to first can be tricky, because the clutch has to be 100% to the floor. Every other gear I can just 60-70% it to the floor and it's good.

About the only issue I have now is being locked out of 3rd at high rpm, but I hear that's more just a stock shifter thing.

I'm currently trying to get in contact with the previous owner (19k miles to 108ish K miles) just to see what has been done to the car. Other than a muffler delete, I don't see anything aftermarket. Not even a drop in filter. Not sure on tune however. I've ran 93 octane since I picked it up and it feels great. I don't have a tuner to verify its a stock tune. Not sure there is any real way to tell.

To me it feels like a stiff clutch compared to what I'm used to, but it grabs very well. So I can't complain about that.

Wow, been over a year since I posted here lol. Anyways, big update on the stiff clutch / hard shifting.

I've been chasing this issue down ever since I picked the car up. So far, nothing has fixed it. I've done the following:

- Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
- AMP bronze shifter bushings
- MGW Flat stick shifter (used AMP bushing in this as well)
- CHE Torque limiter with rod ends on the cross bar and bell housing
- New clutch master cylinder
- McLoed braided clutch line

And I still get lockout around 6,000rpm and above. Basically the higher I rev the worse the lock out is. It doesn't grind or anything, just refuses to go into gear.

Driving normal and shifting at a lower rpm, it shifts super smooth. So It's not synchronizers, so I'm assuming it's the slave cylinder or clutch. The clutch however, grips super hard and I've never felt any slip whatsoever

Any tips on where to go from here? I'd rather not pull the trans for no reason, but I'm guessing that's my only real option at this point?