Just picked up a 70 fastback Mustang

89lx5o

Apr 10, 2004
Well I've been missing my old Mach 1 for quite a while now,and have been looking for another Mustang to replace it with, I have a 89 5.0 hatch that's a great car but I also wanted something older. I manage an auto parts store and I knew the owner had a 70 fastback that he has just been letting sit in his garage for the last ten years(he also has a 70 1/2 Trans Am Ram Air IV that is restored just sitting there)and I knew he was thinking about getting rid of the Mustang.
So I ask him what he wants for the Mustang and he says go look at it and make me an offer, now mind you the garage that he keeps these cars in is about five miles from his house and he tells me he hasn't even looked at the car since he drove it in there. So he gives me the keys to the place and I go look at the car after work. I unlock the door to find a 70 fastback sitting there that still looks damn nice. When he parked the car he had just had it redone. Completely rebuilt 351C, rebuilt C4 trans, new paint, new wheels and tires, etc. Now sitting that long didn't help it, but it hasn't really hurt it that much either. There are a few bubbles in the paint, but from ten feet away it still looks good, the interior is still decent, and the wheels didn't rust at all. The chrome underneath the hood did get a little rusty and needs to be replaced and of course everything was very dirty, but all in all still a presentable car as a driver.
Now here is the part that you guys wont believe, (I still don't and I have the car), I go to work the next day and tell him I would love the car but I probably don't have enough money put away for one that is still that decent. He says he knows he's never going to do anything with it and he wants someone to have it who will, make me an offer. So I tell him I have 2 grand in my safe at home and I don't want to borrow money to buy a car and then have a payment on something that I'm trying to restore also. He reaches in his desk hands me the keys and registration and says "go pick up your car tonight", can you believe that! I've worked for him for quite a while and we have never had a problem but I never expected to get that car for 2 grand. I took the plugs out and sprayed some oil in the cylinders and turned it over by hand for a day,changed the oil, checked all the fluids and primed it until it got oil pressure and it started without making a sound.
If I knew how to post pics I would because I would love you guys to see my 2 thousand dollar find. Anyways I just wanted to tell everyone they are still out there reasonably priced, you just have to keep looking.

• Sponsors (?)

I thought you guys might be interested in hearing this story. I have worked for him for quite a while and we are more friends than boss/employee but I still didn't expect that to happen. I just got the interior cleaned up yesterday and it looks super. I want to try to drive it just a little this fall before it snows just to see how everything acts and then work on it a little over the winter.
Oh, and it's funny but I tried to buy his Trans Am for that same amount and all he did was laugh, I don't know what was so funny. (ha ha).

I just paid 9 grand for an all original 2nd owner 69 Mach 1. Real nice, no rust runs great and I thought I got a steal. It was just apraised at 24,000. Damn did you luck out. My first car was a 69 Fastback with a 4V Clev. It was my neighbors car and he kept it under a tree on the side of his house. I fell in love with that car from the first day I saw it. I was around 10. When I turned 15, he told me he had to sell it because he was getting married. He wanted 5 grand for the car but knew that no 15 year old paperboy had that kind of money. He knew I loved it and I always told him I wanted to buy it when I was old enough. He told me he'll give it to me for 2,000 and I told him I didn't have that either. I guess he remembered the days when i would peek into the window to look at the gauges, and just sit there dreaming about the car when he asked me how much I had saved. I told him a grand and he gave me one of those expressions like I'll kick myself later for selling it this cheap. Well he did and I got it for a grand with a lot of xtras. This was back in 1995. Since than I've owned a 70 Mach 1 and now this 69 Mach 1 and I'm only 24. I love these cars. Just thought I'd share my story with you as well. Anyway congrats on your 70 FB and Good luck with it.

That's a cool story. Sounds familiar. I guess it pays to show people that you really care about these cars and that you will take care of them. It seems to make a difference in buying them sometimes.

You guys, those are awesome stories.

I hate the both of you too! :D

I'd like to see pictures of the "steals".

Where do you go to get a vintage Mustang appraised? I'd like to know what my car is worth.

P

Congrats and welcome to the 69-70' club. You got one hell of a deal! Although I didn't walk away with one for 2 grand I got a really good deal too. I guess since we are all sharing stories and I don't want to get back to work...
My friend in 96' bought this 70' mach 1 Q code and towed it to his second house in Sacramento. The car hasn't been in any accidents and looks like it has been sitting for about 15 years. The previous owner had taken the original 428 out to put a 2V 351c in in the hopes if saving gas durning the gas crisis days we think. The 428 came out but the 351 never made it in. In 89 I guess he wanted to revive the poor car and put it back together with the original 428 so he had it rebuilt... dunno how good of a job... and again it never made it in. He sold it to my friend for 4200 which he then had the C6 rebuilt then moved it with both engines and everything that pretty much went in the engine compartment to Sac. He would go up there once or twice a month with his family just to get out of town and enjoy some sun and space (we are from San Francisco). After doing yard work and such, he would tinker with it for an hour or two but couldn't dedicate much time to it which this is no small project. About a year later he and his wife are having another kid (already has 2). He knows that he really doesn't have the time for it now and decides to sell it to me. I was 17 at the time. All through high school I would talk shop with him and mentioned that my dream car was the 70' Mach 1. He pulled out old pictures and between the talk and pictures it must have triggered some old memory from his high school days which prompted him to buy this one. This was his 3rd 70 Mach 1 and he currently has number 4 and 5 too. Lucky guess but i think it was his dream car as well. The first one of his or better yet, his frist car period was a 428... he totaled it... Second one his friend rearended him and bought the car off of him. Anyways,l I bought it when I got all the money together... still taken apart of course... for 4500 dollars with a fresh 428 and a c6 with a strait frame. It had the typical wheel well/trunk rust but for a car that was close to 30 years old at the time, it was in pretty good shape overall. I just turned 18 at the time and got it runnin about 3 years ago. I have never enjoyed a project so much and of course its still not done but I doubt it ever will. There will always be something to do to it as it needs a paint job and the rust I mentioned earlier to be taken care and hopes of a T56... if possible in the future... far future. Either way, congradulations on your purchance and know that the 70 has to be the baddest mustang ever built... excluding Shelby or course. Even so, I don't think I would take a Shelby over my 70.
Kevin

Percy's Pride.
197170995bJbKfT_ph.jpg