Just put in an autometer temp gauge, got a couple questions.

WhiteDevil

Feb 4, 2003
San Diego
Ok well i put in an Autometer C2 water temp gauge becaues my stock one was all over the place and pissin me off. Anyway, I have a fluidyne Radiator and a 180 degree stat and a new stock water pump. It seems to run between 180 and 190 for the most part. But sometimes when i am at long stop lights it gets up to around 200 degrees, and at one long light it got up to 210 degrees. Im pretty sure its because i dont get the low speed fan till like 210 degrees right(still on the stock Comp)? So since there is not air flowing over the radiator its gonna run hot like that when im not moving right? Any input would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

yep, that sounds right (we would need to know more about the ambient temps, time spent at lights, etc to better talk about the climb in temps) but that seems reasonable.

i think your FAQ have info on a manual fan switch.
good luck.

That sounds about right. I have an AutoMeter mechanical water-temp guage in my cobra. It will go to about 212 and then cool down to 200. I have the stock radiator and fan, 195 thermostat, water pump, etc. The factory guage is why I went with the mechanical. The factory guage was always reading high, so I thought and I didn't trust it. Anyways, the factory sending unit is just completing a ground. They can be made to read anything. The mechanical guage is the best way to get an accurate temp reading. It sounds like your fine. If you had a stock termostat it would be doing the same thing as my cobra (which is norm).

My gage reads the same way...i run a 192 stat...hottest i seen this Summer was 205...
Here it is Fall and I'll be damnned it still will run to 204 sometimes...I have all stock cooling...it avgs 190 most the time..never seems to harm it..

Well it seems to make sense for you guys with the stock cooling system, but ive got a fluidyne and a 180 stat. Oh well i guess ill just see if it runs cooler when i get a tweecer and set the fans to come on lower.

i have yet to do the fan switch thing yet...everytime it heats up just flip your fan on for a few minutes...the gage will drop 10 deg within minutes..
i was freaking out mine was to hot and was using the fan trick whenever it hit 200, usually in town idling...after a awhile it seemed it ran sweet just like that...200 or more never seems to harm it or have a drop in performance....its freaky seeing them temp, where as you never seen it with the old gage...but thats the way they run...