Just quoted $320 for spring install.. Too much?

BigChiefSmokem

Founding Member
Feb 20, 2002
Jacksonville, FL
I was just quoted about $320 to install some springs for about 4 hours of labor.. That sounds like A LOT!!!!! I dont know if i could do this myself or not, and i'm sure that a lot of you will tell me to... But does this seem pricey?? SHould i find another place to do so.. Can any old body shop or tire shop do this for me properly??

Anyone know a good place to bring my car in the Jacksonville, FL area?? I was thinking of about 200-250 for install....

• Sponsors (?)

have jack stands? have a jack? do a search on "spring install", and you will notice everybody mention just how easy it actually is, and you will get lots of tips also. Are you going to re-install lowering springs?? If so, that makes the job even easier.

Springs aren't difficult to do, more so tedious. You can do it yourself if you know what you're doing. If you've never done them before, ask around for specifics. If you insist on having a shop do it for you, and it'll take them 4 hours... take it to another shop. There's no reason a spring swap should take 4 hours unless you run into some unforseen problem.

Redfire03GT said:
Springs aren't difficult to do, more so tedious. You can do it yourself if you know what you're doing. If you've never done them before, ask around for specifics. If you insist on having a shop do it for you, and it'll take them 4 hours... take it to another shop. There's no reason a spring swap should take 4 hours unless you run into some unforseen problem.
yup... But most places will only charge you like $20-$40 a spring, so I would go to another shop if you absolutely can not DIY.

i have never touch a piece of suspention on my car before and so far i have put in x2 ball joints. caster camber plates and bumpsteer. oh yea and can't forget the lowering spings. its really easy all you have to do is think about what you want to do and then look at what haves to come off. oh yea be carefull on the abs senser. its a 12pt bolt and it will strip easy cause its so small.

320 is way to much. I payed 80 for the install on my car. Since seeing it done on my car, I have installed c/c plates on my car and put lowering springs on two of my friends mustangs. Do it yourself, it just seems more difficult than it really is.

I think I paid right around 320. also. They told me that it was a 4hr job and thats what the book called for. I dropped it off and within a hour it was done, so when I picked it up I asked for a discount because of the time difference and ass said no. I haven't been back to that shop and since then I think I've had topop several of them out to do things behind them and Ill tell you it is very easy. Another wasted 350. bucks for me

the rear springs are REAL easy, just drop the lower control arms, do one side at a time and its real easy. the fronts, those i think are just as easy, just make sure you get the spring compressor that goes inside the spring, not the external one. make sure you get new spring isolators also. their cheap, poly's are 35 for the fronts and 20 for the rears, and you'll probally need them anyways.

I was quoted $250 for spring install, Caster/Camber install and alignment at Goodyear. Definatly keep looking. You do realize that if you keep the stock C&C plates they will have to cut your towers to be able to make the necessary adjustments for alignment. Get some C&C plates installed as well. This will enable proper tire alignment which is necessary after spring install.

BigChiefSmokem said:
I called another place.. Got quoted 200 this time around... I'll keep looking..

Honestly i would do this myself, but dont have the time/motivation to do so. I'd rather take it some place and have it done and be over with.

Have you ever changed your brake pads? If so you were more than half way to replacing the springs... Its just so easy, that I cannot think of paying anyone to do it. I would compare the difficulty of the job to changing your spark-plugs or water-pump... I mean its just too simple to pay someone that much to do it. If you can find someone to do it for $40 bucks total then I might pay that just to keep from getting dirty... :D If you do have it done, don't watch because you'll be saying "Thats all it was?!?! And how much do I have to pay again!?!?!"

Delacruz1776 said:
Back2Mustangs....Didn't you get alligned after you installed the springs? The $110 for all 4 I Payed included allignment.
I did the following myself all at once:
CC plates
springs
shocks
poly a-arm bushings
rear uca/lca's
bump steer kit
sway bar bushings
shortened end-links

Then I took the car up to a tire shop, had two new front tires mounted & balanced and aligned... I paid $52.00 for the mounting and alignment. :)

You da man. I guess some of us now will pay for what we didn't learn to do earlier. You're right...doing it yourself saves lots of money, especially throughout the years. I'm just one of those who prefers to pay and be done, although I know how much NOT to pay.
I did do my own K&N FIPK install though. (I see you laughing)
All I can say is that if dude isn't confindent in installing the springs he should shop around, get a decent price and have someone do it.
Good looking out guys!

Delacruz1776 said:
You da man. I guess some of us now will pay for what we didn't learn to do earlier. You're right...doing it yourself saves lots of money, especially throughout the years. I'm just one of those who prefers to pay and be done, although I know how much NOT to pay.
I did do my own K&N FIPK install though. (I see you laughing)
All I can say is that if dude isn't confindent in installing the springs he should shop around, get a decent price and have someone do it.
Good looking out guys!
:) Well, I'm starting to get lazier with age... there are alot of things that I'm paying other people to do to this car that I would never have let anyone do in the past. I used to not trust others to do as good of a job as I know I would do, and I'd be paying them to half-a$$ it... but now I pick and chose who does what and how much I pay for certain jobs. You are right, about knowing how much not to pay. I've taken entire Mustangs apart from the air-filter to the metal shell, and put them back together again...but now I'm kinda like BigChief here... I don't have the time anymore.