K%N Air filter alturnated the sound of my 06

DAMNitzHENRY

Nov 4, 2006
i just put in a K%N air filter in my 06 gt stang automatic, it has no other mods.
after a while of having the airfilter( about 5 weeks) i begin to heard a whistling sound when i hit 2nd gear, and from 2nd gear up at about 4.5. Right now, i dont have ne sound recording of it yet

please help

• Sponsors (?)

check to make sure the lid is properly installed. if it is not, then it could be sucking in air through a small gap and cause the whistling.

Something that should be noted to you K&N drop-iner's (yes I just made that term up) is that you're not helping your performance...infact you're probably hurting it! These new stangs are very computer sensitive and even the added flow of the K&N panel filter (which would normally be a good thing) can throw this particular computer off.

nah, dropping in a new filter or whole cai wont throw off the computer, it will re learn itself and reprogram itself, compensating for the better air flow, thats what the mass air meter is for, real time data logging to the computer, to make changes. Cause think of it this way, when your air filter gets dirty and the flow is slows down, does your car run as if it was clean? no, the computer reads this and adjusts the air/fuel and other things on the fly. So your computer will compensate for the air filter, it may just take a few miles/minutes to tune the changes. but your thinking, then why retune?? cause the computer can only make small ranged changes to these paramaters, not huge ones to make up for say, a superchargers forced induction.

Any large changes in the amount of air coming in from stock settings throws the CEL. I put the C&L on mine and started it up and immediate CEL light came on, and running horrible. Then I loaded the 'canned' tune from C&L for the octane I am running and re-started the car, no CEL and runs hella smooth. A simple drop-in may not cause it, or your run of the mill CAI that flows near what the stock air box does, will not cause it. Throw a large flowing CAI on a S197 with no tuner and see what happens. C&L sells a reducer you put into the MAF to reduce the flow back to stock, thus not throwing any codes, and costing quite a bit less.

Not sure that a simple drop-in is gonna make much difference power-wise as there is minimal change in increased airflow.