Kabuki_notch's progress thread finally...

Kabuki_notch

Founding Member
Nov 19, 2001
Rochester, NY
so I have finally decided to get some things done on the car because there have been some things that have been bothering me for the last 2 years and I have just been too lazy to do anything about it.

so.........here's the plan

Car was hit in the front so I need to replace the inner fenders as they are a little rusty and crinkled also the core support is kinda rusty so I am probably going to replace that as well.

Exterior/Body work
-Inner fender's / possibly Scott Rod Fab's inner fender panels
-Core support
-Cobra Grill Insert/paint front bumper
-Fix door locks
-Paint engine bay
-Maybe a color change that's still up in the air, rest of the paint is pretty good so I might wait till next summer to do the paint.

Interior
-replace dash
-install new seat's
-rear seat delete

Performance
-4:10 rear gears
-Rear disc conversion Cobra Rear Brakes
-Rebuild motor it's tired and leaking oil, possibly do a 306 with H/C/I OR a Mod Motor haven't decided but the motor is definitely being pulled to get the engine bay squared away I'm still thinking on this one. I know doing the 306 would probably be a lot cheaper in the long run.
-new shocks/struts
-springs
-caster/camber plates

So today I started by cleaning the garage getting everything squared away, got the car up on jack's and started the dis-assembly. I started now because I want to get as much done before winter as possible so if all I have left to do in the winter is minor stuff then that's OK (hate the cold!) Here are a few pictures of my garage and progress so far! damn car still had the air silencer lol.

334uky9.jpg

mkx4c8.jpg

314ebgg.jpg

15zj1s.jpg

28k662q.jpg

264l3lg.jpg

wi7hub.jpg

ftj6mq.jpg

23k5ama.jpg

2boe46.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

hey guys a little update!, I pulled the top half of the motor off today waiting to go borrow my buddies picker to pull the motor, I'm surprised the engine bay isnt too rusty but there is OIL everywhere, this car was leaking like crazy, everything had a nice coating of oil on it. I drained the coolant and it was brown and nasty. I'm glad i decided to pull the motor out.

I also spent some time fiddling with getting the summit racing seats mounted, I can confirm the stock brackets don't seem like they will work so I will need to have some custom ones made up. here's a picture of the mess of wires and crap in my engine bay. this week I will work on getting the rest of the wiring out and getting the motor prepped to be pulled.

Also quick question, removing the A/C lines do I need to do anything special? or can I just pull them?

sd1lkl.jpg

Well if you vent the freon into the air and the EPA folks catch you its a good 10k fine. I would

*WINK WINK*

not bother with it yourself and take it to a professional....;)

The question is do you plan on keeping the air conditioning after you go through the motor? If you're trained to do so, recover the refrigerant into a recovery cylinder, triple evacuate the system with nitrogen, pressure test to design pressure and wait minimum 30 minutes, and then charge the old refrigerant back in, or convert to 134a. The EPA fine for intentionally venting CFC refrigerant is up to $37,500 per day per event of intentional venting for non-compliance with EPA Section 608 of the refrigerant recycling law. If you're gonna vent it, I wouldn't advise broadcasting it on the internet, because the reward for notifying the EPA of an intentional venting is comparable to the fine (and I sure could use a stroked, forged, teksid with CNC'd trickflow heads and a Kenne Bell). :nice: