KB 14# Does anyone else see heat issues

YellowJacketGT

Founding Member
Oct 28, 2002
02 GT KB Heads/Cam 14# pulley 11psi showing.

During a 4 gear run the IAT temperatures are great during the first 2 gears but go crazy through third and fourth. This is evident during my track runs. Great MPH at the 1/8 (95MPH) but a drop off at the 1/4 (116). This translates into timing pulled as heat increases, hence less RWH.

I have included an Autotap of a run at the track. I had to scale Engine Speed (62.17 = 6217RPM, 225 = 22.5 degrees of timing. BTW this is with water injection.

Autotap Results

I have been trying to solve this issue for sometime.
Larger water holding tank (Vortec).
Gords Heat exchange .
Water injection.
Next up small shot of Nitros...

Does anyone else have any datalogs that measure IAT?
Is this just a KB/GT issue?
Does anyone else see this issue?
Never had these problems when I had a Vortech SQ 14#.

Because of this heat issue I can not do back to back runs at the track. Any extended street activity is also a concern. The water injection does help squelch detonation at the expense of rwh.

Injection of a 50/50 mix cause a 10-20 rwh loss from start to end. A higher methonal mix may help but this is a pain..

• Sponsors (?)

Could your coolant temp be rising also? I am sure that it is a variable in the timing equation.

Your data looks like what would be expected... IAT rises, timing is retarded (slightly).

If you have a thermocuple or rtd and a good meter (fluke, etc) you might want to measure the the water temp in the vortech tank. I would assume that it begins to rise over time (and boost).

I don't have a KB but I work on similar problems all the time at work.

YtnGT said:
Could your coolant temp be rising also? I am sure that it is a variable in the timing equation.

Your data looks like what would be expected... IAT rises, timing is retarded (slightly).

If you have a thermocuple or rtd and a good meter (fluke, etc) you might want to measure the the water temp in the vortech tank. I would assume that it begins to rise over time (and boost).

I don't have a KB but I work on similar problems all the time at work.

Water injection did not seam to cool things down.

Does anyone have any dataloged proof Nitros cools things down..

Coolant temp stays 180...

I did do a test before and after with the temerature of the Vortec tank. Temperature did not get much more than 113 degrees..
Guess heat transfer not working very well.

Gords heat exchange with fans cools down the water a degree a minute when sitting idle.

Here is an Excle file with my AutoTap recorded data during a dyno run last month. Should help you to compare and establish a trend. Are you using the stock heads? I was thinking about upgradin the IC reservoir can myself. Did you have to upgrade the interooler pump becuase of the Vortec Ice Box? Did you try putting ice at the track?

Edit: Just notice I cannt upload Excel files! :shrug: Just PM me with your e-mail address and I will send the file.

el_kid_1 said:
Here is an Excle file with my AutoTap recorded data during a dyno run last month. Should help you to compare and establish a trend. Are you using the stock heads? I was thinking about upgradin the IC reservoir can myself. Did you have to upgrade the interooler pump becuase of the Vortec Ice Box? Did you try putting ice at the track?

Edit: Just notice I cannt upload Excel files! :shrug: Just PM me with your e-mail address and I will send the file.

Stage 2 VT heads. Same pump with larger holding tank. Really did not make much of a difference.

I question the efficiency of the intercooler to transfer heat. Temperature only go to 133 degrees water temperature when IAT got up to almost 160.
not much has helped. Gords heat exchange with dual fans. (Huge volume). Larger holding tank (Vortec). Water injection..

Water injection was the only item that contributed. Helps reduce detonation...

Sent PM with email address

man reading this kind of post makes me feel even better about my decision to stay away from a Kenne Bell. I definately planned to run higher boost than 9lbs right from the start and figured heat would be a huge issue. sorry to see your having these problems even after adding many additional cooling pieces. hope you figure it out without spending a boatload more cash.