KB questions...

im looking into buying a 1.7L system for obvious reasons. but im new to the whole supercharger idea, and have a few questions before i seriously consider getting one.
1- where to buy?
2- what pulleys are most often used, and offer most power but also safe for a daily driver (i was told te 14# pulley can be used daily at no risk...)
3- are the HP gains on the website accurate...(+160@9psi, +262@14psi)

i have alot more research to do before i get serious about it, but i thought this was a good place to start..
thanks in advance guys

• Sponsors (?)

UF :nice:
Go Gators :D

Kenne Bell and Modular Powerhouse are the only places i know of that you can purchase the KB blower and MPH is an install only.
14psi is gonna toast your stock shortblock...better stick to the 9psi kit and even then you better start saving for a built shortblock.

HP is overrated on their website. The 9lb intercooled kit is good for about 375RWHP/375RWTQ. You need their big tube kit and mass air meter to get close to the advertised 400 mark. That's another $500.

01KBGT said:
HP is overrated on their website. The 9lb intercooled kit is good for about 375RWHP/375RWTQ. You need their big tube kit and mass air meter to get close to the advertised 400 mark. That's another $500.

But that's RWHP right? :D I should come in no more than 35hp under that. I bought the other stuff.

As far as I know in my also limited experience... 6psi if you don't do the intercooler, 9psi if you do, and 11psi if you upgrade your engine parts, and 14psi, you wouldn't be asking...

I would recommend going to their website, www.kennebell.net. It is full of great information. 9 psi is about the limit on the stock internals from what ive heard. According to kb 400 rwhp is what they have dyno'd on the 9psi kit but it is with the high performance tune on the chip (i believe it comes with 2 switchable tunes) on 100 octane. Read their tech info and faq's if you are really looking to buy, it is very informative and actually pretty interesting.

GDawg said:
But that's RWHP right? :D I should come in no more than 35hp under that. I bought the other stuff.

As far as I know in my also limited experience... 6psi if you don't do the intercooler, 9psi if you do, and 11psi if you upgrade your engine parts, and 14psi, you wouldn't be asking...

I had the 6lb non-intercooled kit, put down 325RWHP/320Rwtq on a crazy humid day. I'm getting tuned on Thursday with the 9lb intercooled. I'll post the results. And yes, that is rear wheel hp.

With the 14# pulley the advertise 507rwhp on a stock 4.6. they also recommend race gas for the 14# pulley. I have access to VP race fuels so I have the 9# that comes stock and the 14# which was $100 extra. I doubt I'll be running the 14# on the street but we'll see in the next few weeks what kind of detonation there is.

1.7 9# IC is the way to go for a street car. You can stay with the stock lower end, so your total costs are not too bad. It will run in the low 12's on pump gas, and it totally reliable. Need I say more?

01KBGT said:

And with my "9lb" kit I went with the Kool Air filter kit, 90mm Meter, Big Tube kit and 75mm TB...and with all that KB needed to upgrade my 9lb pulley to a 10lb pulley so I'd be certain to make the advertised 9 pounds of boost, but I ended up making 11 pounds. Engine held up fine, but my (3rd and 4th) gears got spanked when I went WOT into 4th gear in my automatic transmission.