Keeping tires looking nice.

Blackhawkxx

Mar 3, 2023
I found this info on why tires turn brown along with the white letters and what to do about it interesting. Maybe you will too.

Browning of White Sidewall Letters. BFGoodrich® tire designs include protective agents to retard the natural degradation of the rubber over time, which can occur when exposed to the sun and to ozone present in the air. These protective agentsare designed to slowly migrate to the surface over time in order to provide continual protection over the intended lifespan of the tire. Under normal circumstances the protectants are not noticeable on black rubber or on whiterubber. However, under certain circumstances, these protective agents may become noticeable over time as yellowing or browning due to interaction with ozone. The contrast may be most notable on white rubber. Discolorationof the white rubber is not a warrantable condition. At the same time, exposure to sunlight has a beneficial effect on the appearance of the white rubber. The micro-thin outer surface of the white rubber is designed to photo-oxidizewhen exposed to sunlight. Rain, car washing and even the flexing of a rolling tire will progressively remove these oxidized particles from the white rubber. As particles of the micro-surface layer are removed, new white rubberis revealed. The white rubber of tires on vehicles that are garaged or protected from regular sunlight exposure are not allowed to oxidize or to refresh their surface appearance as designed. As a result, the migration of protectantscan become visible over time on tires not exposed to sunlight Tire sidewalls or letters which have become dull due to dirt or similar buildup can be cleaned with mild soap and water. Should discoloration from migration ofprotective agents occur, regular exposure to sunlight will refresh the white rubber. If regular exposure to sunlight isn’t possible or practical, the following hand cleaning methods could be employed:

Cleaning Option 1:
Use common steel wool soap pads (such as Brillo or S.O.S. brands) with water on the white rubber to gentlyremove surface discoloration until the white color is restored. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any remaining cleaning particles.

Cleaning Option 2: Use wet sanding paper (400 grit) with water and mild soap on the white rubber to gently remove surfacediscoloration until the white color is restored. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any remaining cleaning particles. BFGoodrich® Tires does not recommend any powered cleaning methods, either by mechanical, hydraulic,pneumatic, etc. For additional information, please contact your local BFGoodrich® sales representative or contact BFGoodrich® using the website at www.bfgoodrichtires.com

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I found this info on why tires turn brown along with the white letters and what to do about it interesting. Maybe you will too.

Browning of White Sidewall Letters. BFGoodrich® tire designs include protective agents to retard the natural degradation of the rubber over time, which can occur when exposed to the sun and to ozone present in the air. These protective agentsare designed to slowly migrate to the surface over time in order to provide continual protection over the intended lifespan of the tire. Under normal circumstances the protectants are not noticeable on black rubber or on whiterubber. However, under certain circumstances, these protective agents may become noticeable over time as yellowing or browning due to interaction with ozone. The contrast may be most notable on white rubber. Discolorationof the white rubber is not a warrantable condition. At the same time, exposure to sunlight has a beneficial effect on the appearance of the white rubber. The micro-thin outer surface of the white rubber is designed to photo-oxidizewhen exposed to sunlight. Rain, car washing and even the flexing of a rolling tire will progressively remove these oxidized particles from the white rubber. As particles of the micro-surface layer are removed, new white rubberis revealed. The white rubber of tires on vehicles that are garaged or protected from regular sunlight exposure are not allowed to oxidize or to refresh their surface appearance as designed. As a result, the migration of protectantscan become visible over time on tires not exposed to sunlight Tire sidewalls or letters which have become dull due to dirt or similar buildup can be cleaned with mild soap and water. Should discoloration from migration ofprotective agents occur, regular exposure to sunlight will refresh the white rubber. If regular exposure to sunlight isn’t possible or practical, the following hand cleaning methods could be employed:

Cleaning Option 1:
Use common steel wool soap pads (such as Brillo or S.O.S. brands) with water on the white rubber to gentlyremove surface discoloration until the white color is restored. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any remaining cleaning particles.

Cleaning Option 2: Use wet sanding paper (400 grit) with water and mild soap on the white rubber to gently remove surfacediscoloration until the white color is restored. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any remaining cleaning particles. BFGoodrich® Tires does not recommend any powered cleaning methods, either by mechanical, hydraulic,pneumatic, etc. For additional information, please contact your local BFGoodrich® sales representative or contact BFGoodrich® using the website at www.bfgoodrichtires.com
I use this, it works great!

Reactions: 1 users
I just spray the lettering, scrub with a plastic brush and rinse with a hose. It's not much of a mess.
I'm with this guy. I've had raised white lettered tires since... Uh... wow, just you neverminded how long. :p

Anyway, any wheel and tire cleaner meant to dissolve brake dust and a mild brush followed by a water hose. Viola! Done. Use whatever tire gloss you like the best (I prefer the not-shiny stuff).

Reactions: 1 user
Here’s what I use. It’s aviation stuff. No sticky residue to collect dust. No cheesy sheen. Just a deep dull black.

Tire Dressing, Tire Protectant, No Tire Shine, No Dirt Attracting Residue 32oz Natural Satin/Matte Finish, Aircraft Grade Rubber Tire Care Conditioner, Better Than Automotive Products https://a.co/d/hFDFG0h

IMG_2598.png

Don't leave your car parked outside for long periods of time.
If you have a garage, use it. The garage is not for storage, it is for the car...
I can't think of a single neighbor that actually uses their garage for parking. Apparently most folks just use their garage to store stuff.

Then there's us. Our house had the garage converted to living space by a PO. I grew up in a house with no garage at all and hated having to clear off the cars and no place to do projects. So we added on a garage with storage above. For what we paid to have it built, no way I'm not going to use it. Because so many people here don't park in their garage if they don't see your car in the driveway they think you're not home.

Cleaning Option 1:

Cleaning Option 2: Use wet sanding paper (400 grit) with water and mild soap on the white rubber to gently remove surfacediscoloration until the white color is restored. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any remaining cleaning particles. BFGoodrich® Tires does not recommend any powered cleaning methods, either by mechanical, hydraulic,pneumatic, etc. For additional information, please contact your local BFGoodrich® sales representative or contact BFGoodrich® using the website at
Hello. I've tried all those junky tire shine products at AutoZone to make my tires look good but need something better and less messy. What does everyone here use and does anyone know what concours participants use? Has anyone tried mother's tire cleaner?

Don't leave your car parked outside for long periods of time.
If you have a garage, use it. The garage is not for storage, it is for the car...
When we got this F150 Ranger, both driver side tires were in bad shape compare to the passenger side despite they are relatively new. That side is exposed to weather and been sitting there for about two years. We put on new fluids, steel rims, off road tires, and 3" lift, now we have a fun weekend toy and hauling truck.