Winterize Your Stang

I know when winter starts to come around the corner, a lot of people are going to to asking how to winterize your mustang. So the point of this thread is to tell you how. This information isn't mine. It is simply copy and paste from a website, but it is a guide I use every year for my bronco and my friends stang. it's long so let's begin.

For many Mustang enthusiasts and collectors, Fall means preparing our cars for storage over the winter months. After all, anyone's who's ever tried to drive a classic-model Mustang in the snow knows the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Although the thought of parting with your favorite ride may sound depressing, just imagine how you'll feel if you don't properly prepare your car for storage! I don't know many folks who'd like to venture down that road. Remember, it's what you do today that will make your first Spring ride all the more enjoyable! So let's get started. Check off each item as you go along.

Change Your Oil and Filter
Before you store your Mustang away for the winter, give it a complete oil change, which includes changing the filter. Use a quality brand of oil that touts corrosive protection.

Change Your Brake Fluid
Flush out your old brake fluid, which can contain moisture, and add new fluid to your Mustang.

One Last Drive then Top it Off
Take your Mustang on a short drive to the gas station, then fill it up completely with gas. The goal is to circulate fuel through the fuel lines before you put it away for the season. You can also add a bottle of fuel stabilizer to the tank to keep your gasoline in tip-top-shape until next Spring.

Wash and Wax Your Mustang
Give your ride one final wash and wax before you store it away for the winter. Be sure to remove any dirt, as dirt holds moisture, and moisture can cause rust. Dry it completely. If you plan to cover it, use a breathable cloth cover.

CAUTION: Do not cover your Mustang with a plastic cover, as it can trap moisture which can lead to rust!

Protect Your Leather, Rubber, and Vinyl
Be sure to put a coat of protectant on you leather seats, dashboard, etc. This will help to keep these components from cracking during storage.

Lubricate the Cylinders
Remove your spark plugs and lubricate the cylinders using a small amount of conventional-engine oil or boat-storage fogging oil. Put the spark plugs back in place and reattach the spark-plug wires. Once again, the goal here is to prevent rust. Also be sure to lubricate the hood latch and your door hinges.

Drain Your Cooling System
Remove the fluid in your cooling system and radiator. Then add antifreeze with a rust inhibitor.

Remove the Battery
Take the battery out of your Mustang by removing the ground cable first. Inspect the battery and properly clean it if necessary. Then store it on a dry surface away from concrete. If you plan to use a battery-tender, prepare your set up.

Prepare Your Tires
Remove your tires, if possible, and place the Mustang on jack stands with plywood beneath each for support. Otherwise, you may find your ride has sunk into the ground next Spring. Then store your tires in a safe location for winter. If you plan to keep your tires on the vehicle, let some air out of them to reduce the strain on both the tires and the suspension.

Critter Proof Your Mustang
Let's face it, animals love to set up shop in cars that are in storage. Therefore, you need to make your Mustang critter proof. Stuff some rags into the tailpipe and place additional rags in any intake vents. Also make sure your windows are rolled up. You can also sprinkle moth balls around the car to keep the critters away.

Wrap Your Wiper Blades
Make sure you wrap your wiper blades in a clean rag. This will prevent the blade from sticking to the windshield while in storage.

Put the Top Up
Convertible Mustang owners should make sure to store the Mustang with the top up. If stored down for an extended period of time, the leather could actually shrink, resulting in a top that won't close properly come Spring time.

Review Your Insurance
It's also a good idea to make sure your insurance is up-to-date. You'll need to notify your insurance provider if you've moved the vehicle to a new location. Otherwise, you might not be covered in the event something happens to your ride. While you're at it, let your insurer know you're storing the vehicle until Spring. Some providers will offer a discount if they know the vehicle will not be on the road for several months.

If in Doubt, Ask a Mechanic
If you're in doubt about how to properly store your Mustang, or think we missed something, just ask your mechanic for storage tips. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Relax and Check in From Time-To-Time
When you've finished preparing your Mustang for Winter, I'd recommend relaxing for a while. To help with the dreaded Mustang withdrawal symptoms, I'd recommend reading up on your favorite Pony car. You might just walk away with some new ideas such as modifications you'd like to see on your ride next year!

If you follow these steps, you should be able to rest more peacefully this coming Winter. As with any item in storage, it pays to check in on it from time-to-time. I'd recommend checking up on your Mustang ever so often, if possible.

Now for getting your stang ready for winter driving

It's never good to break down, but breaking down in the middle of winter is even more unpleasant. The following are steps you can take to prepare your Mustang for cold-weather driving. As a word of caution, the Mustang is not the best of vehicles to use on snow-covered roads. If you have an alternative, use it. If forced to drive in such conditions, use EXTREME caution. Having survived three winters of driving a Mustang in New Jersey, I recommend you go easy on the accelerator, go easy on the brakes, and watch out for the infamous rear-wheel spin outs. Better yet, find a friend with a four-wheel drive vehicle!

Evaluate Your Tires
Let's start with your tires. These four pieces of rubber are what keep your Mustang connected to the road. In winter, road conditions can be harsh. Sand, salt, snow, and ice can all wreak havoc on a standard set of tires. Therefore, you should invest in a set of snow tires if you drive in an area with these conditions. Snow tires are designed to increase traction and improve your ability to drive in winter conditions. Many Mustang owners have good things to say about Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. Other good brands exist as well, so do your research. Fortunately, most all-season radial tires are sufficient for winter driving in areas that get little or no snow. Just be sure to check your tire pressure regularly. Keep them inflated! Replace your spare tire with a full sized spare.

Inspect Your Battery
If you don't have a battery, you won't have to worry about those tires we just discussed. Nothing's worse than a car that won't start on a cold winter day. Therefore, you need to make sure your battery is in good condition before winter comes. Inspect it yourself, or have it inspected by a mechanic. And make sure the cable connectors are in good shape. Most batteries have a lifespan of about 3 1/2 years before they start to show signs of wear. If your Mustang's battery is older than that, consider purchasing a new one if your current battery shows signs of wear. And once again, get it inspected before winter!

Change Your Oil
It's a good idea to change your oil and filter before winter comes. Dirty oil can lead to problems. Especially when driving in harsh conditions. It also makes good sense. If you haven't changed it in a while, do it before it gets cold.

Check Your Cooling System
Change your anti-freeze and have your cooling system flushed if you haven't done so recently. While you're at it, check your hoses and belts. In general, the radiator should have a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze to water.

Inspect Your Brakes
If your brakes are not in proper working order, you're going to be in for a wild ride when winter comes. Make sure they check out before you hit the road this winter. Report any problems, such as pulling to one side, to your mechanic immediately.

Winter Wipers and Cold Weather Washer Fluid
If you've ever driven your Mustang in the snow, you probably remember what it was like having all that slush from passing cars land on your windshield. Bottom line, you're going to need good wipers. Replace yours with winter wipers if needed. Another problem is washer fluid that freezes and won't come out as it should. Switch to cold-weather washer fluid to avoid this problem. This is especially important when you're trying to get all that slush off your windshield.

Check the Exhaust
Exhaust leaks can be deadly in winter. Reason being, most folks let their Mustangs idle for a bit before they drive out onto the road. If you have an exhaust leak, carbon dioxide fumes making their way into the vehicle can be deadly. Check to make sure your exhaust is in good condition. Also make sure all your clamps and hangers are secure.

Lights are Essential
Inspect your Mustang's headlights and brake lights. If you can't see when you're driving this winter, you're in for a wild ride. Also make sure others can see your Mustang when you brake. If your tail lights are out, replace them as soon as possible.

Keep Your Tank Full
A full tank of gasoline can help prevent your gas-line from freezing this winter. When your tank is empty, it is more prone to the build up of condensation. It also makes perfect sense to drive with plenty of gasoline in your tank when conditions outside are harsh. Always keep your tank at least half-way full in the winter.

Put a Bag of Sand in the Trunk
Rear-wheel drive vehicles are notorious for poor traction when the roads are slick. This winter, put a 100- pound bag of sand in your trunk. It can help your Mustang's rear end grip the road better. Regardless, you'll still need to be VERY easy on the accelerator when driving in such conditions. Or as I have, a subwoofer box.

Always Be Prepared
Always make sure you have a jack in your Mustang. If you need to change a tire, you'll need one. Also, it's a good idea to put a blanket in your car, as well as a map, flashlight, jumper cables, and flares. Also carry a few bottles of water and some non-perishable food with you at all times. If you do break down, make sure you'll have what you need to survive.

Again, this info isn't all from me. I have added in some changes and such though. It is a guide I use to help store my friends stang and to get my bronco ready for winter driving.

• Sponsors (?)