DIY Underbody Refinishing

I believe I had a thread about this at one time, but I think it was lost when the server crashed. So here we go.

First off, let me warn you...as with most paint & body projects...this is very dusty and I recommend breathing and eye protection from falling dust and other particles.

I had a bit of an easier time than most might because I had the rearend, driveshaft, and rear control arms out of the car. This was due to a complete rebuild of the rearend.

You want to start by degreasing any areas with alot of grime and such, because this will do nothing more than clog up your grinding/wire wheel, wire brush, and sand paper. Once you have hosed it off and let it dry (you could just wait overnight...or you can speed up the process with a leaf blower like I did lol), you need to begin prepping. Here's how mine looked after degreasing:

1.jpg

My car had a bit of rust in some spots, so a 4.5" electric grinder with a wire wheel was used to grind it down to bare metal on those spots. I tried to keep this to a minimum to avoid removing the very tough factory primer as much as possible. Next, begin cleaning other areas such as around fuel and brake lines with a hand held wire brush. If you need to use the electric wire wheel on any of there, be extremely careful to not get close to any rubber or plastic items for obvious reasons. It's a good idea at this point to use some compressed air to see how everything is looking. If it is to your liking, you now need to begin prepping the surface with sand paper. This will be the most tedious process, second to masking. You need to make sure all surfaces are scuffed enough to provide something for the primer to stick to....or else you may have bad results or flaking paint in the future.

Once you are done sanding, you need to clean the surface. I used lacquer thinner followed by 70% alcohol, but you may use your preferred cleaner. Now comes the fun lol...time to start masking...mask anything you dont want paint on. and make sure to mask the sides and top of the car (use blankets or whatever you can find...trust me you don't want to remove overspray from your whole car...it's no fun. Next comes paint. I used Krylon Rust Tough Primer and Krylon Rust Tough Dark Machine Gun Gray paints. These are available at most auto parts stores. 2-3 light coats of primer...just enough to evenly cover the surface, followed by 2-3 more coats of the gray finish coat will be more than enough. I believe this took about 3 cans of each in the end.

Let the paint dry overnight then remove the masking the next day and put it all back together. Go buy some mirrors for the next car show!

Here are some pics of the finished result with the painted rearend housing and such:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Pic of the rearend out of the car while I was painting it
7.jpg

Putting the rear back in
6.jpg

I also painted my control arms and rearend housing using the same process and Rust Tough Gloss Black. I will also add that I did this over two years ago now, and the paint is still in great shape, and living up to its "Rust Tough" name. Only a couple tiny spots of surface rust have popped up, and I believe this was mainly due to rock/pebbles being kicked up by the tires. This was easily fixed with some light sanding and repainting those areas.

Hope this inspires some stangers out there to pay attention to one of the more neglected areas of our cars :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

95Mustang302 said:
THANK YOU!!!! I've been wanting to do this forever before I get the body work finished on the car. One question, would you reccomend a self etching primer or not?

The self etching primers may be a good idea, because if you miss any spots with the sand paper and the surface isn't quite scuffed enough, the self-etching primer will still adhere to the surface quite well. Also, it will most likely bond to the scuffed areas even better. I used the "rust tough" primer just because I have had good luck with it in the past.

95Mustang302 said:
btw, how far forward did you go with the painting? up to the firewall I'm assuming

Yea I went up to the firewall because I plan to do a nice basecoat/clearcoat finish on the entire engine bay whenever the motor is out.

blurry said:
Oh wow, nice work it looks great.

What do you think about using that underbody liner kind of stuff. Its like black tar.

If you mean undercoating...I wouldn't recommend it because that stuff makes a real mess whenever you go to work on the car. I was replacing a control arm on my DD car which is undercoated, and that junk was a nightmare. I had to scrape it off all the bolts just to get a socket on them, then wherever I used penetrating oil (in my case, PB Blaster), the undercoating became a tar that was all over my tools, me, and the floor. The only thing I could get it off my hands and tools with was lacquer thinner.

Therian said:
Dan, thanks a lot. I really appreciate this info...and I'm sure it's good for a lot of us

No problem man, I'm always happy to offer any information I have to help support our hobby :nice:

Couple more questions for you buddy,

anything other than fuel filter (fuel pump also I would assume) that I should do if I'm under the car and dropping the tank? Did you buy a new rear end or did you simply paint your old one (axles?).

also did you use a gun to paint it all?

Therian said:
Couple more questions for you buddy,

anything other than fuel filter (fuel pump also I would assume) that I should do if I'm under the car and dropping the tank? Did you buy a new rear end or did you simply paint your old one (axles?).

also did you use a gun to paint it all?

If you ever plan to install a different fuel pump, now would be the time lol. As far as the rear, The only things left from it are the actual rearend housing and the axles (was gonna get beefier axles but the money well ran dry).

I didn't use a paint gun on this project, but I imagine you could. If I had the car up on a lift, I would have used a paint gun, but the space was so cramped under there that I didn't think I would be able to maneuver the gun properly and would end up with alot of runs.

Also, for everyone, a plus to doing this is when I had to take everything apart to install my springs/shocks, everything came apart nice and easy because everything was clean and not rusted into one big chunk of misery lol.

95riosnake said:
If you ever plan to install a different fuel pump, now would be the time lol. As far as the rear, The only things left from it are the actual rearend housing and the axles (was gonna get beefier axles but the money well ran dry).

I didn't use a paint gun on this project, but I imagine you could. If I had the car up on a lift, I would have used a paint gun, but the space was so cramped under there that I didn't think I would be able to maneuver the gun properly and would end up with alot of runs.

Also, for everyone, a plus to doing this is when I had to take everything apart to install my springs/shocks, everything came apart nice and easy because everything was clean and not rusted into one big chunk of misery lol.

Did you apply it using a brush then? It looks pretty even from the pictures. How far did you have the car jacked up to do it all? Looks like I'll be doing it that way as I don't have the luxury of a lift either...

Therian said:
Did you apply it using a brush then? It looks pretty even from the pictures. How far did you have the car jacked up to do it all? Looks like I'll be doing it that way as I don't have the luxury of a lift either...

The rust tough paint I referred to in the write-up comes in aerosol cans. I had aboue 2 feet of space under the car, but make sure you wear breathing protection cuz you can get pretty high lol. As far as lifts go, I should have one within the next 6 months :nice: