Key remote mod

Im really into modernizing things that are classic but still keep it classic. So i wondered if its possible to program a newer key remote from the s550 to my fox? I think it would be an interesting project to try out. & if it’s possible, how can i do it?

• Sponsors (?)

How good are your electronic skills? If you don't have the equivalent of a 2 year Electronics tech degree, your odds are slim to none. A whole world of things are integrated into the S550 computer system that you would have to deal with.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
What extent do you want to take this? Just lock/unlock doors with the button, or full keyless with push button start and hands off lock/unlock?

If you were to do this you’d be among the first. The problem with the new Ford’s is everything is module based. You might be able to get the hardware, but programming it is another problem.

The S550 fob is very nice, so I can understand wanting to try and use it. I’d like to try myself.

What extent do you want to take this? Just lock/unlock doors with the button, or full keyless with push button start and hands off lock/unlock?

If you were to do this you’d be among the first. The problem with the new Ford’s is everything is module based. You might be able to get the hardware, but programming it is another problem.

The S550 fob is very nice, so I can understand wanting to try and use it. I’d like to try myself.
I just want to use it to lock & unlock. Push start would be nice but i wouldn’t want it to fail on me one day. My dad did his own push start on his mustang 2.

How good are your electronic skills? If you don't have the equivalent of a 2 year Electronics tech degree, your odds are slim to none. A whole world of things are integrated into the S550 computer system that you would have to deal with.
I have no electronic skills. I was hoping to find someone that with them skills to help me. Hopefully it’s possible. It would be really cool

Reactions: 1 user
Like he said, you just get an aftermarket alarm system, and use that. Pretty much guaranteed to fail in 5 years and mess everything up though.

Kurt

Like he said, you just get an aftermarket alarm system, and use that. Pretty much guaranteed to fail in 5 years and mess everything up though.

Kurt

Thats funny. The very first “mod” I did to this mustang two years ago was to uninstall the non-working alarm that was in it, and put all the wiring back to the way it was!

Thats funny. The very first “mod” I did to this mustang two years ago was to uninstall the non-working alarm that was in it, and put all the wiring back to the way it was!

Standard. A huge number of these cars were equipped with aftermarket alarm systems in the 90s. The alarm systems didn't last long, and generally they were installed by 17 year olds in the back of Circuit City clipping and but splicing everything. It's very common to buy a Mustang and find the ignition column wiring harness a rat's nest. Auto theft has kind of become a thing of the past in the US thankfully.

Kurt

My car still has a Viper Alarm circa 1997 in it complete with remote start.

I had to bypass the remote start when I went 5-spd, but the alarm still works fine.

Brings me back to the 90s when I accidentally set it off and hear that alarm that changes melody every 5 seconds that everyone learned to ignore

My car still has a Viper Alarm circa 1997 in it complete with remote start.

I had to bypass the remote start when I went 5-spd, but the alarm still works fine.

Brings me back to the 90s when I accidentally set it off and hear that alarm that changes melody every 5 seconds that everyone learned to ignore

I had a Clifford A500 in my Fox Body which stood for "cost you 500 fricken bucks." You know, with the motion sensor carelessly placed under the shifter bezel so it knocked around while you were driving. I still have that thing that goes on the steering wheel somewhere, what was that thing called? There are a lot of British guys on one of my car groups. Apparently auto theft is still a big problem there. If only I had known that the best deterrent is a pair of granny panties with a massive :poo: stain wrapped around the steering wheel, I would have saved myself a lot of money over the years. I mean, even if they grab it with a tow truck, at some point someone is going to have pull those panties off the steering wheel.

Kurt

• Haha
The only way to successfully make this work is to buy a wrecked donor coyote car and do the complete swap .
Friend of mine is almost done with his coupe with a 10r80 , dash is in it as well .

remote start , door locks and trunk all work off the s550 key fob . Last part he was up to was getting his factory window motors tied into the harness .

I had a Clifford A500 in my Fox Body which stood for "cost you 500 fricken bucks." You know, with the motion sensor carelessly placed under the shifter bezel so it knocked around while you were driving. I still have that thing that goes on the steering wheel somewhere, what was that thing called? There are a lot of British guys on one of my car groups. Apparently auto theft is still a big problem there. If only I had known that the best deterrent is a pair of granny panties with a massive :poo: stain wrapped around the steering wheel, I would have saved myself a lot of money over the years. I mean, even if they grab it with a tow truck, at some point someone is going to have pull those panties off the steering wheel.

Kurt

The Club! I had one of those too. Then the crooks just cut the steering wheel and off it came.

That did suck back in the 90’s. Cars got stolen left and right. We experienced it first hand when my moms 92 LSC got taken 6 months after they bought it. Had an alarm, but no Club!
Cops found it the next day sitting on the undercarriage with no wheels.
Luckily they got it back, and at 83 years old, she still owns it with 52k on it!
Never forget waking up that morning to the empty spot in the driveway!
(sorry.... back to OP.... I ran a little with that one!)

Standard. A huge number of these cars were equipped with aftermarket alarm systems in the 90s. The alarm systems didn't last long, and generally they were installed by 17 year olds in the back of Circuit City clipping and but splicing everything. It's very common to buy a Mustang and find the ignition column wiring harness a rat's nest. Auto theft has kind of become a thing of the past in the US thankfully.

Kurt
yep, when I pulled my dash out of mine, it had an alarm, I yanked all that crap.. and tossed in trash (didn't know if it worked or not) still have to solder the wires back together before I put dash in... don't need an alarm, but it would be nice to have keyless entry.. so I may look for and install a keyless entry system that will work the factory power locks... (if they even have that without the alarm part).

You could do it...would have to gut a s550 remote and put the parts in it from a cheap alarm key fob. I describe it easier than it actually is.

I had AutoPage alarms in my foxes. The one with the cheesy LCD screen and stealth mode. It had motion and vibration sensors so it would go off like a pager on vibrate and show what area of the car was affected. I could even crack the windows or roll them down by remote. Remote start and all the bells and whistles were on that thing. Was a PITA to wire in. The thing just started randomly going off in the last car I had it in. I pulled it all out. Worthless POS.

There are stealthier things to do. Kill switches still work to keep folks from stealing it. An old guy I know puts motorcycle cable locks on his wheels. Guess folks won't steal his car or the wheels that way. :shrug:

I just have a tracker in everything I own. I figure I'll help the car community out by finding the thief and dealing with him myself. If you deter a thief they just go on to steal from someone else.

• Agree
You could do it...would have to gut a s550 remote and put the parts in it from a cheap alarm key fob. I describe it easier than it actually is.

I had AutoPage alarms in my foxes. The one with the cheesy LCD screen and stealth mode. It had motion and vibration sensors so it would go off like a pager on vibrate and show what area of the car was affected. I could even crack the windows or roll them down by remote. Remote start and all the bells and whistles were on that thing. Was a PITA to wire in. The thing just started randomly going off in the last car I had it in. I pulled it all out. Worthless POS.

There are stealthier things to do. Kill switches still work to keep folks from stealing it. An old guy I know puts motorcycle cable locks on his wheels. Guess folks won't steal his car or the wheels that way. :shrug:

I just have a tracker in everything I own. I figure I'll help the car community out by finding the thief and dealing with him myself. If you deter a thief they just go on to steal from someone else.
Here in Georgia ,the rednecks cut the thief into little pieces and feed them to the gators...

• Hell Yeah!
Here in Georgia ,the rednecks cut the thief into little pieces and feed them to the gators...

Pretty sure we don't have gators here in Georgia in significant numbers. My wife has been pretty clear that if I mess up, I will be rendered immobile, and then fed to the crabs in the marsh in South Carolina.

Kurt

• Surprised