Knock then nothing

Sn95_riley

Jun 3, 2019
Neenah Wi
So I revved my car up to around 5k rpm and let off and the car started knocking pretty bad, I shut the car off and went to see if I could figure out what it was, I couldn’t figure anything out, I started the car back up and it was knock a lot less and then I drove it for like a min and the knock completely stopped and the motor is running perfect other than a very light tick on idle, I don’t know if I spun a rod bearing and it re seated or what happened, any suggestions???

• Sponsors (?)

So I revved my car up to around 5k rpm and let off and the car started knocking pretty bad, I shut the car off and went to see if I could figure out what it was, I couldn’t figure anything out, I started the car back up and it was knock a lot less and then I drove it for like a min and the knock completely stopped and the motor is running perfect other than a very light tick on idle, I don’t know if I spun a rod bearing and it re seated or what happened, any suggestions???
I forgot to mention that I drive a 1998 Mustang GT with the 4.6L v8 with the full PI swap done and mild cams installed full exhaust headers back, shorty headers, o/r X, flowmaster catback, SR performance CAI, I bought the car with these already being done so not certain what is all done internally

Well...remember that 5K with a load on it (i.e.-driving down the road) versus 5K freewheeling (i.e.-sitting idle) is totally different to the engine. With the load on it, the engine is designed to push against that load, but when freewheeling, there is no push back against anything and parts become quickly disoriented.

Next time "peer" tells you to rev it up, ask them how much money they have in their pocket. And when they ask why, tell them so they can pay you for the damage it's doing to the engine. Don't let morons goad you into blowing something up so they can walk away and laugh. It's not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know if I spun a rod bearing and it re seated or what happened, any suggestions???
I can promise you that IF you spun a bearing that the damage will only get worse has time goes on. This could be risking taking a condition that may be repairable with polishing and turn it into a "boat anchor".

is running perfect other than a very light tick on idle
If this were my car I would
  • suggest using a borescope. Pay special attention for any PTV "witness" marks on top of the pistons.
  • cut open the oil filter.
The combination of a non-PI bottom end with a PI head has reduced PTV clearance. Add in a more aggressive cam and.................

Reactions: 1 user