Suspension Koni STR.T but with what springs for smoother ride?

R82148V

May 26, 2020
Hello Everyone..

Restoring an 87' vert that has been sitting for about 12 years. I'm on to the suspension, but not sure what to do.
It has stock springs all around, KYB GR2's in the front and KYB gas adjust in the rear. Before I parked it and life got in the way, this vert drove like a tank. Almost as if the suspension was welded together. Every little bump was a kidney buster. Now when I jack up the car, the suspension barely drops so I can only imagine how worse it would ride if I road tested it.
I going to rip out those KYBs and put in Koni orange STR.T, but have not a clue what springs to use. I'm sure the stock springs in there are shot and memory compressed from sitting so long. I'm not looking to lower the car at all. I like the stock height and this car is only a street / weekend pleasure car. Of course would like a little better handling but also a smoother dampening over NJ bumps and potholes. ha

What do you think about H&R OE Sport Springs? Or perhaps there is a better alternative brand / type that goes well with Koni's.. There are a ton of brands out there..

Thanks for all your time!

• Sponsors (?)

KYB's are known to be a Harsh riding shock.... I won't use them ever again...
Always the best deals pricewise to suck you in....

Last edited:
i would get adjustable struts and shocks first..and play around with the settings for a softer ride and if its still bad then i would think about springs
I always thought if the car sat for a long time on stock springs which has been between 12 - 15 years, they become more stiff? If not then I really don't need to change out the springs?, but then there is putting in new isolators. hmm not sure what to do here. If I need Springs, I'm looking for stockers.. Is there anything out there that is stock high and better than stock?

Like limp said, KYB are the worst for dampening for a more comfortable ride. Even when the car was on the road and I just put them in, It drove like steel bars were in place of the struts and shocks.

I always thought if the car sat for a long time on stock springs which has been between 12 - 15 years, they become more stiff? If not then I really don't need to change out the springs?, but then there is putting in new isolators. hmm not sure what to do here. If I need Springs, I'm looking for stockers.. Is there anything out there that is stock high and better than stock?

Like limp said, KYB are the worst for dampening for a more comfortable ride. Even when the car was on the road and I just put them in, It drove like steel bars were in place of the struts and shocks.
Springs might sag, but they do not have an increased spring rate over time. Bushings can wear out, isolators can too.

Reactions: 1 users
Update.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm holding off on changing the springs, bushing and isolators.. I'll get them done all at the same time. I'll bring it somewhere because I don't trust myself doing the springs... So after reading everyone's posts around the net on the best way to create a better ride in a fox vert is to put some really good shocks, struts in and also full length subframe connectors which will allow the suspension to work better.. So I ordered some KONI STR.T shocks and struts. Also ordered full length SFC's from G FORCE PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS..
1658495567349.png

I'll let you know how it goes and rides.

I don’t think there is a difference between convertible and hardtop k-member braces. I think the issue is the convertible X-brace needs to be removed.

I noticed a difference with my strut tower brace on my hardtop. I would definitely do one along with Subframe connectors on a convertible.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think there is a difference between convertible and hardtop k-member braces. I think the issue is the convertible X-brace needs to be removed.

I noticed a difference with my strut tower brace on my hardtop. I would definitely do one along with Subframe connectors on a convertible.
MM has a different part number for vert and hardtop braces..
MM has a different strut tower brace for carb vs FI brace......

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
Hey All--

Just wanted to give you a closing update since there are a lot of posts when users just drop off.
I installed the Koni Oranges all around and the GForce Full frame braces. They attached from the rear K-member bolts back to the rear lower control arms.
The only modifying required was to those braces that attached between the sub-frame and rockers. There are (2) small panels each side on a vert. Only had to cut off up to the first rivet.. I was able to leave the rest on and figured a little more added brace wouldn't hurt. I kept off the rear portion of the stock X K-member brace, but install the front portion that goes to the radiator support. Took it out for a ride. What an amazing difference! What an incredible difference from using super stiff KYB GR2s and no subframe connectors to Konis and SFC's! The ride is very smooth but tight! The car feels solid and is allowing the suspension to work fully. You can feel the difference immediately backing out the driveway which my street is a slight decline to it. Everyone always says get yourself a GOOD set of shocks, struts and SFC's and you will feel a dramatic difference. .You're not kidding! There's no more body twist and the suspension really travels fully allowing great road hazard (bumps and such) response.
With the KYB's, you couldn't get the car to travel up and down by pressing your body weight on the front or rear. With these KONIs? I completely different story. There is now a ton of travel and easy to get the car to move up and down.
I'll never get anything else other than Koni.
I understand everyone likes to weld in SFC's. That that is the best way to attach for best strength. I just wanted the option to be able to removed the SFC's if needed. I also didn't want to "drill" holes into the car's subframe for the fear of the holes wearing, stretching and becoming odd shaped over time.
These GForce braces use already existing mounting locations (K-member bolts and rear lower control arm bolts). No drilling required and they tie in the entire length of the car's sub-frame unibody. They are super heavy duty and a total of about 45 lbs together.

If anyone decides to use these Gforces and need a helping hand or advice, Let me know!!!

1663101755267.png

Thank you everyone for all your time, advice and help!
Till next time.
Cheers! :cheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users