Kooks LT Headers - Self Install Thoughts

So...pretty much set on the following set up.

Kooks Long Tube Headers
Kooks X-Pipe w/ High Flow Cats
Corsa Axle-Back Exhaust

Now I have two friends, and they're on two different sides. One is of the opinion that I should do the install myself, the other one thinks I'm basically crazy if I attempt it. Me personally...I'd rather save the money and do the install myself, while also learning about my vehicle.

What are your opinions? I am not a mechanic in the least bit, but I can turn a wrench, take stuff off, put it back on, etc. Has anyone done this themselves? How would you grade the difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10? Also, do you have any links to install guides?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

• Sponsors (?)

Pay or not?

I just finished installing long tubes in my 08.

The job is very tedious and time consuming. It took me just over 8hrs of wrench time.

I would rate the job about a 6 of 10 in difficulty.

I would advise you to pay some one to install them unless you want to learn something or if you just want the satisfaction of doing the work yourself.

Doing the work yourself keeps you humble when you see work that goes into the mods.

Anyone can write a check and go on and on about what they know, who they know, how great this or that is.....

The bottom line is no one likes some know it all that spends too much time knowing every in and out of every mod but has never actually done real modding himself.

Go for it, gain some knowledge and some actual know how!

I'm planning on going with the exact same setup (maybe high flow H-pipe instead of X)... that is, when I can find the 1200 lying around for the kooks headers ::makes a sad face and pulls pockets inside out, allowing a moth or two to escape for added effect::. Please let me know any helpful tips that you pick up along the way, and what the finished product sounds like. I'm imagining it'll sound something along the lines of chewbacca making love to a dragon (ignoring all the physical impracticalities that said imaginary scenario would present). Godspeed.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm planning on going with the exact same setup (maybe high flow H-pipe instead of X)... that is, when I can find the 1200 lying around for the kooks headers ::makes a sad face and pulls pockets inside out, allowing a moth or two to escape for added effect::. Please let me know any helpful tips that you pick up along the way, and what the finished product sounds like. I'm imagining it'll sound something along the lines of chewbacca making love to a dragon (ignoring all the physical impracticalities that said imaginary scenario would present). Godspeed.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I plan on writing up an install guide with pictures when I do the install.

Any particular reason you're looking at the catted H instead of the catted X?

I am installing Kooks 1 3/4" long tubes and Kooks hi-flo catted 3" X-Pipe. They dont make the catted H-pipe for the 3" collector long tubes, so I had to go with the X-pipe.
I have scoped out the job and am anticipating a long weekend install including Prothane motor mounts. I aksed Sutton for an install price ( I am in Illinois) and they wanted 950 dollars. That is ridiculous and I will do the job myslef on ramps and jackstands.

What are your opinions? I am not a mechanic in the least bit, but I can turn a wrench, take stuff off, put it back on, etc. Has anyone done this themselves? How would you grade the difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10? Also, do you have any links to install guides?

Mustang Monthly has a write-up on a BBK header install. I'd imagine the process is pretty much the same for the Kooks. Here's what they had to say about it:

"Installing headers on the current Mustang is considerably easier than the previous-generation SN-95 car due to the overall larger size of the S197 platform. There's simply more room to work. While it still takes a while to do the job (about 4-6 hours), the added workspace is a welcome change."

Ford Mustang BBK Headers Installation - Mustang Monthly Magazine

I've never installed headers on any car but my general rule with this sort of thing is unless it involves getting into engine internals or something equally complicated, I'm willing to give it a try. It's always rewarding to work on your own car.

Yeah, I plan on writing up an install guide with pictures when I do the install.

Any particular reason you're looking at the catted H instead of the catted X?

I prefer a catted H for two reasons. First being the sound, I like it better. Second I like the fact that power is more noticeable at low to mid RPM which makes it more useful on the street.

It's all a matter of preference.

stonepony,

I'm a dealer for Kooks, and when I talked to a representative last week, he referred to a header/catted H combo for around 1200. Not sure if it's something that's around online but, from what I understand, they do make it. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you.

saintfrancisco,

Ditto what walter said. H pipes sound a little deeper/throatier than their X pipe counterpipes. I feel a little dirty after writing that last sentence.

Posted via Mobile Device

stonepony,

I'm a dealer for Kooks, and when I talked to a representative last week, he referred to a header/catted H combo for around 1200. Not sure if it's something that's around online but, from what I understand, they do make it. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you.

If you get any more info on that package from Kooks, please post it! The header/catted H combo is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks

Yes they make a catted H-pipe in 2.5" that mates to their 1 5/8" long tube headers with 2.5" collectors.
However Kooks makes 1 3/4" headers with 3 " collectors for higher horsepower applications. You can only get a catted X-pipe from Kooks in the 3" diameter size mid-pipe. So if you want the larger Kooks headers you have to go X-pipe if you need cats.

I installed a set of the 1 3/4" Stainless Works LTs and O/R X along with my existing MAC mufflers. Along with a buddy, we spent about 9.5 hours on the install. We used tall jack stands that got the bumper about 3' or so up in the air. A lift would have been a lot better. What a pain it is to get to some of those manifold/header bolts! If I had to do that again, I'd consider paying somebody, but surely not $950!!!!!
With the minimal room to work here is a list of items that need/should be removed to do the job:
battery, battery tray, some sort of emissions lines on the driver side strut tower, oil dip stick, starter, remove the motor mounts (easier to get to the bolts on the center tubes), jack up the motor (used a piece of 2x4 on its side between the oil pan and K memeber), unhook the steering shaft, then remove 1 bolt from the steering rack and loosen the other to enable it to be moved forward to allow the steering shaft to be moved out of the way.
3390666333_aed947af5a_b.jpg

3391467304_3fbd39401a_b.jpg

Starter removed. That tab on the engine block makes it fun for the top bolt removal and when the headers are in place, makes for even more fun install:nonono:
3391481500_ab89bfd666_b.jpg

3391484946_4b1922fca7_b.jpg

3391492434_1d0887682d_b.jpg

3391496318_7099d64a47_b.jpg

LTs run really close to the starter
3390687993_ba53e9fef6_b.jpg

After lots of reading in many different places, it's pretty common knowledge that X pipes sound better with straight through mufflers and H pipes sound better with chambered mufflers. This had me a little concerned as I might have to shell out more money for either an H pipe to fit the LTs or for a new set of mufflers.
Well, I was pleasantly surprised of how well this combo sounds.

Here is one of my solo passes so it's easy to hear my car
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v333/PRO50SC/Track%20videos/Mason%20Dixon%204-4-09/NVMC%204-4-09/Picture022.flv">
Here is a guy who has JBA LTs, JBA catted H and the same MAC mufflers I have yet his car is MUCH louder/raspier!
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v333/PRO50SC/Track%20videos/Mason%20Dixon%204-4-09/NVMC%204-4-09/Picture023.flv">
Here's me running the guy from above and his exhaust easily drowns mine out and I'm closer to the camera:rlaugh:
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v333/PRO50SC/Track%20videos/Mason%20Dixon%204-4-09/NVMC%204-4-09/Picture019.flv">

Man I'm thinking I'll get this done when it comes down to that. Still one question for kooldawg, where does the little GT500 in picture 4 go? I'm pretty sure I have yet buy exhaust components that come with one of those :)