late model alternator in a 69 mustang?

2.3lover

Dec 6, 2006
would like to adapt a late model alternator in a 69 mustang,,the alt is from a 88,efi5.0 stang,the 69 engine is running a serpentine belt ,anyone have some info on what needs to be done? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Ron Morris Performance sells an adapter harness for this application. I have one in my 69 Cougar and it works great.

www.ronmorrisperformance.com

Ripoff! What they want $100 for I can make in 30 minutes with a soldering iron and the wiring from the donor car and the other car. There is a great 3g install diagram out there floating around the internet and this info is directly applicable to the 80s 2g alternators. No sweat.

thanks for the info.but my buddy stripped out all the 69 stock wiring and added an older model chevy alternator, bolted up , the mounting holes are about the same ,it works but it needs to come out,,should i just splice into the hot red wire and run it to the battery for the ford alt?

yeah i know having a chevy part on a Ford is a no no,but thats the only way we got it to work had to put a couple of washers to make it fit,looks tacky,,Iam thinking to just check for 12v coming out of the newer ford alt and hooking up to the positve side of the battery?,the other wires go to the gauge voltmeter?,,,we first did this chevy alt swap years ago we didn't have the choice of todays adapters harness available,,I'll try searching other sites for more info thanks

Ripoff! What they want $100 for I can make in 30 minutes with a soldering iron and the wiring from the donor car and the other car. There is a great 3g install diagram out there floating around the internet and this info is directly applicable to the 80s 2g alternators. No sweat.

Well yes. I looked at the part after purchasing it and saw how easy it would be to make one from the existing wiring. Some folks don't have the expertise to do this and would rather just buy the part needed. That's why I posted the link.

I ended up modifying the RMP harness I purchased anyway, to get a STA terminal lead to power my electric choke.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/public/alternator/

Diagrams on wiring all manner of ford alternators.

Generally, your major concern is the green wire coming off of the donor alt. harness. You'll need a 12v ignition source as the 'exciter' wire. There's one that will work great leading to the voltage regulator. Not sure which in your case. Though, I am sure the info is here on stangnet.

The main advantage of the 3g is low rpm amp generation and cost.