Law Buffs Read....In In Trouble(LONG)

You also have to realize the neighbors are all college aged students. There is no way you can honestly think $27,000 is a justified punishment for a "loud party". They could have came and told us to leave (what they normally do I thought) and then those who tried to run or wern't cooperative they could have cited. It wasn't that loud either, it's not like we were blaring music or yelling and stuff either. Believe me i've been to a loud party, this was NOTHING compared to some of the stuff that i've been to. This was pretty laid back and the 54 people is decieving being as most were downstairs. Outside you couldn't hear anything if you were out on the street even. You had to be RIGHT THERE to hear noise. Horns/sirens/etc. were louder than this party.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the city can afford to have a party for its workers now :rlaugh:

Congrats, you funded their Thanksgiving and Christmas parties this year :nice:

Perhaps the cops should be thanking you instead of giving you invasive body cavity searches...

Uncle Meat said:
You really seem hung up on the fact that this party is some form of financial windfall for local law enforcement. You sure there isn't some underlying reason you're so upset about this?

U.M.
The reason i'm making this such a big deal is just the simple fact that I don't think the circumstances of the party (the real circumstances, not the ones the paper/police are making it out to be) don't warrant a $500 per person fine and a grand total $27,000 profit.

Like I said, most of the people reading this are probably assuming i'm some stupid teenage kid who is trying to get out of a well deserved ticket and yada yada, which I can see why. My point is, if I felt I deserved the ticket and the fine, i'd suck it up, learn from it, and pay it. But...the situation is getting blown way out of hand by the police/media and in turn is screwing us over. If the fine would have stayed at $100 i'd pay it and be done with it, but NO WAY do I believe $500 is a fair punishment. On top of that I think it's bull that the court is letting kids who got minors at other parties, and people who urinate in public, a $150-$250 fine, and we're getting 2-3x that for a noise ordinance. That's bull, and the reason i'm being such a stickler on this situation. Like I said, I agree with most things the PD do, but this time they are way out of line and the court is going way out of line on the ruling.

Well being as im a dumb university student i'll chime in. I have a couple years on you though.

First of all 54 kids is going to get you in trouble. Thats a given. Second of all, if more than 5 of these people are seen walking outside of the house at a time your probably going to be reported. According to your post it was called in because 'several people were walking in and out of the house'.

Thirdly you said that once the police came you all tried packing into the house, meaning that you were outside. If you have a 54 person party outside in a residential area, your going to get fined.

Fourthly this clearly isn't a party of friends being as there are windows being broken in order to escape, if one of my friends broke a window at one of my parties on purpose he would be getting beaten to near death.

Fifthly 500 dollars is nothing. Suck it up. Life sucks then you die. Here the house owner usually gets stuck with a 5000-7500 dollar fine and then whethor or not his friends cover it is really a measure of his/her friends.

Sixthly, if the city is making 27,000 off of this party of yours (since you were kind enough to do the math) why not gather your resources and each pay approximately 10 dollars per person (5400 dollars) and get the best lawyer in the state for the 25 minutes that you will be in court and the 15 minutes he/she will spend preparing the case.

And finally, as a fellow partier and fellow university student you deserve every cent of that ticket. Complete lack of respect from everyone involved. Breaking windows, being a tough guy and getting in the cops face over why the girls got to go and not the guys when they're trying to deal with 54 underage drunk tough guys that are breaking windows trying to escape. I've had my share of tickets, and i've had my share of warnings. But theres a good reason why i get away with most of my tickets, almost every time a party gets broken up by cops, me and my friends will go up to the car and talk to them, see how the nights going, tell them about possible fights, get all the alcohol that they confiscated for free. Cops truly are your friends, they act 'prickish' and tough to show their authority, as most people that deal with them try to get into their face and take control of the situation, trust me, i just dropped out of police studies to continue my education and finish my degree in law.

Dusstbuster said:
You also have to realize the neighbors are all college aged students.

Why the noise complaint then?

Seems like BS, someone probably has a grudge.

I was with a buddy who was popping fireworks on newyears one night, and this guy who lived at the apartments we were hanging out at got all PMSey and decided to lip off about how it was illegal, and that he was going to call the cops.

My buddy snapped back at him and said "Go ahead call the cops" "Just cause you don't have any friends to celebrate New Years with doesn't mean you have to **** it up for us people who do."

The guy quickly shut up as the rest of the group we were with started laughing at the statement... The guy didn't bug us after that... He kinda just shyed away in embarrassment...

What a tool. :rolleyes:

PlatinumDevil said:
Well being as im a dumb university student i'll chime in. I have a couple years on you though.

First of all 54 kids is going to get you in trouble. Thats a given. Second of all, if more than 5 of these people are seen walking outside of the house at a time your probably going to be reported. According to your post it was called in because 'several people were walking in and out of the house'.

Thirdly you said that once the police came you all tried packing into the house, meaning that you were outside. If you have a 54 person party outside in a residential area, your going to get fined.

Fourthly this clearly isn't a party of friends being as there are windows being broken in order to escape, if one of my friends broke a window at one of my parties on purpose he would be getting beaten to near death.

Fifthly 500 dollars is nothing. Suck it up. Life sucks then you die. Here the house owner usually gets stuck with a 5000-7500 dollar fine and then whethor or not his friends cover it is really a measure of his/her friends.

Sixthly, if the city is making 27,000 off of this party of yours (since you were kind enough to do the math) why not gather your resources and each pay approximately 10 dollars per person (5400 dollars) and get the best lawyer in the state for the 25 minutes that you will be in court and the 15 minutes he/she will spend preparing the case.

And finally, as a fellow partier and fellow university student you deserve every cent of that ticket. Complete lack of respect from everyone involved. Breaking windows, being a tough guy and getting in the cops face over why the girls got to go and not the guys when they're trying to deal with 54 underage drunk tough guys that are breaking windows trying to escape. I've had my share of tickets, and i've had my share of warnings. But theres a good reason why i get away with most of my tickets, almost every time a party gets broken up by cops, me and my friends will go up to the car and talk to them, see how the nights going, tell them about possible fights, get all the alcohol that they confiscated for free. Cops truly are your friends, they act 'prickish' and tough to show their authority, as most people that deal with them try to get into their face and take control of the situation, trust me, i just dropped out of police studies to continue my education and finish my degree in law.

You misread entirely what I said...
First, we didn't pack into the house from outside, we packed the screened in porch from inside the house so we could walk out as they called our names

Second, I didn't "get up in the cops face" about my friend being arrested. The only reason I knew they were being arrested is because one of them asked to talk to me and then I asked the officer why they'd been arrested. He explained the reason and I told him "oh well the kid right there also has family in town too" and he told me they were already in contact with them. Then they still brought him to jail, even though he fit the exact criteria for being let go according to the reasoning for letting the girls go. At NO point was I nor anyone but those few kids being disprespectful, up in anyones face, or anything like that. ONE kid broke a window, not tons.

Like I said, i'm not stupid, if I felt we deserved the ticket (IE everyone being disrespectful, talking smack to the cops, being cocky, everyone trying to run, etc etc.) I wouldn't be making this big of a deal out of it. Unfortunatly, it was nothing like that, which is why i'm posting this.

So you all got noise ordinance tickets? 54 of em'? What, some guilty by association stuff? Back in tha day, we just outran em' or they told us to leave but these days they got the breathalizers on the ends of flashlights and ****. Man, any party these days is subject to Police coming in and making a quick 27,000. I'd make them prove I was being loud as hell or never given them my lisence in the first place. If you weren't drunk that is.

And this made the paper? WTF? :nonono:

Kilgore Trout said:
As Baretta always says; "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"

That is so ironic ... Did the crime, got no time ... crazy. :crazy: