leafblower charger...

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
A co-worker and I were discussing the idea awhile ago so I thought I'd post it here to get some feedback. He claims he saw a leafblower at sears that flows 220mph.what do you guys think about getting any kind od benefit from this by simply attatching a tube from the blower to the intake? Maybe running a tube from the intake side of.the blower down to the bottom of the bumper for cooler air? Any thoughts, ideas?

Posted via Mobile Device

• Sponsors (?)

lol, ok,
are you trying to achieve cooler air by using the blower to circulate the air in the bumper? or are you thinking about trying to create an electric forced induction setup?

1st off that's going to send the maf crazy, You're results may vary :D

Ha I'm not trying to do it, we were just debating if, as you refered to it, "electric forced induction" would work. Is there anyway to make the maf accept the extra airflow? Would there be maybe a small increase in hp or mpg? I just don't see how this could have any kind of negative results...
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope. Plenty of people have tried it. Won't work. You'd basically need one on every cylinder and a crazy custom set up with that. And even at that point, we're talking maybe 25 ponies.

The leaf blower only moves those large volumes of air because the pressure differential across the fan is very small. As soon as you try to increase the pressure differential (by blocking off the exit for example), the flowrate drops dramatically. These types of fans cannot generate any significant boost (increase in manifold pressure) and therefore would not be any significant benefit on your vehicle. Certainly much more trouble than value.

i heard of "myths" that people had done it on old beater civics and stuff and they get like 1-2 Lbs. of boost...? again it was a guy that new a guy, who's friend's, brother's, cousin tried it...?

stenchin.jpg

The leaf blower only moves those large volumes of air because the pressure differential across the fan is very small. As soon as you try to increase the pressure differential (by blocking off the exit for example), the flowrate drops dramatically. These types of fans cannot generate any significant boost (increase in manifold pressure) and therefore would not be any significant benefit on your vehicle. Certainly much more trouble than value.
Exactly. There's no seal on the fan at all. So when you put back pressure on it, the air escapes elsewhere.

you guys had to of seen that video of a civic on a dyno with a leaf blower shoved in? ill look..

found it...

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=ab544e3b-5dff-416d-9cfd-a1ad23ca9564" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Leaf-Blower-Bolt-on-Dyno_7514.htm">Leaf+Blower+Bolt+on+Dyno+pull</a>

haha you beat me to it latino. So obviously it does SOMETHING, but that isn't any kind of significant power gain. But it also only works on a stationary dyno, where are you gonna plug the leaf blower in on the road? If you run it off a power invertor, the added load on the alternator will likely negate any power gains. Remember, energy cannot be destroyed or created, it only changes form.

haha you beat me to it latino. So obviously it does SOMETHING, but that isn't any kind of significant power gain. But it also only works on a stationary dyno, where are you gonna plug the leaf blower in on the road? If you run it off a power invertor, the added load on the alternator will likely negate any power gains. Remember, energy cannot be destroyed or created, it only changes form.

Umm its matter can not be created nor destroyed, energy is totatly different
A power inverter would work, your alternator is not going to spin any faster so your not going to loose anypower. You could burn up your alternator because of the load depends on the wattage of the leaf blower. With that being said this is still a horrible ideal, btw if u get a blower or fan anywhere near your intake filter or maf the car is going to shut off.

Umm its matter can not be created nor destroyed, energy is totatly different
A power inverter would work, your alternator is not going to spin any faster so your not going to loose anypower. You could burn up your alternator because of the load depends on the wattage of the leaf blower. With that being said this is still a horrible ideal, btw if u get a blower or fan anywhere near your intake filter or maf the car is going to shut off.

umm.....its energy cannot be created or destroyed.....

Conservation of energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:leaving:

and klaw has got it dead on with pressure differentials.