leaking intake manifold

mmkrzys

Jun 19, 2004
hey Guys,

I have small problem with my moms 97 GT. Seems to have an intake leak. How I know this? First you can here a huge vacume leak, second, the engine light comes on and when I pulled the codes it show a lean condition in both banks 1 and 2. The stang has had the recal done on the intake manifold but when the original one failed it was on the coolent side.
My question is if this is a know problem. I have taken the intake out and to me the intake looks good with no cracks and gaskets looked good also. I have all new gaskets but I was wondering if I should replace the intake also. What I'm trying to get at is that there may be a hairline crack that is hard to see or find.

Thanks in advance for your input,
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

I would say that you have a leak on the area where the intake meets the head.....so something wasn't sealing right..how long did this happen after your intake was replaced?? what did they replace it with? a NPI intake? or PI?

I had this same problem when I swapped to the PI....had to redo it..turned out I had leaks on the inside of the intake ports.....since the redo..no problems in over a month and 1k+ miles...

you know I dont know when it started to leak but it has been at least 2 years. I remember when my mom moved to Vegas the car would overheat and non of the Ford mechanic wizards could figure it out. I started to look around and noticed that it was sucking air, kind of like when you have an open element filter. It also pings so one thing led to another and its now torn apart. I looked at the intake and it seems fine. BTW I think its the NPI one because its all plastic.
On a side note, looks like I found some 2001 heads and intake so I will be doing the swap soon. I hope its all that its cut out to be.

Matt

mmkrzys said:
you know I dont know when it started to leak but it has been at least 2 years. I remember when my mom moved to Vegas the car would overheat and non of the Ford mechanic wizards could figure it out. I started to look around and noticed that it was sucking air, kind of like when you have an open element filter. It also pings so one thing led to another and its now torn apart. I looked at the intake and it seems fine. BTW I think its the NPI one because its all plastic.
On a side note, looks like I found some 2001 heads and intake so I will be doing the swap soon. I hope its all that its cut out to be.

Matt

your from vegas??? headswap is definately the way to go......let me know if you want some help..I am interested in watching/seeing/helping on a headswap as I would like to do it at somepoint to my car..

p.s. Check out our local club/board.. www.silverstatestangs.com/forum

I lived there for a few years but now I’m in Denver with even less power, darn altitude :notnice: but it’s my mom’s car anyway. If I was still there I would definitely take up on the offer, thanks.

Matt