Leaky Gas tank???

deadlast

Mar 30, 2005
Belmont, MA
well my car has always smelled very strongly of gas when in back of the car. I filled up my tank today (i always and only fill it half way) but i didnt check for any leaks. then i drove straight to autozone to buy some seafoam. I poured 90% of the bottle into the tank there, and then drove home. When i got home, i poured in the remaining 10% of the bottle. At this point i notice a small splotch on the pavement, right under my right tailpipe so i take a look. here is what i found.
2006_0322firstnite0004.jpg

2006_0322firstnite0002.jpg

2006_0322firstnite0001.jpg

I smelt whatever was dripping, and it smelled like gas, but it was kind of grimey. Im assuming the grime just got picked up as it ran down the side of the tank. Im thinking its leaking right where the filler neck attatches to the tank, can anyone help me out? iv never noticed the drip until now, but i always suffered bad MPG and terrible gas smell from behind.

Attachments

• 2006_0322firstnite0004.jpg
    2006_0322firstnite0004.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 2006_0322firstnite0001.jpg
    2006_0322firstnite0001.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Sponsors (?)

just get a gasket from your local dealer for $10. Just unbolt the (empty) gas tank and pull the filler neck out of the tank, it will come right out. Wipe down the outside and replace the gasket. Reverse process and your done, might help to have someone else to hold the tank while you bolt it back up. no mre than an hour... :nice:

I coat the new filler grommet in motor oil to help keep it from tearing when installing the filler pipe.

Good luck.

I like Mustangless's frugality, but that gasket is prone to leaking - I dont think I would try a J/Y piece. My bud paid 21 bucks at the dealer locally (we know how widely this varies) and I got a spare from LRS last time I ordered.

Good luck.