Leaky water pump seal

XenSpidey

Founding Member
Mar 5, 2001
*Newbie alert*

I noticed the other day i had a puddle of coolant under my car. it was a slow drip and thought it might have been a cracked hose. i looked under the car and the leak appears to be coming from the seal between the water pump and the timing cover. is this something that can just be temporarily patched with RTV, should i take off the water pump and change the gasket, or just replace the water pump. if i take the water pump off how important is it to have the bolts tightened to the right amount of torque.

• Sponsors (?)

Putting RTV on a leak that is from a presuurized system does no good. Be prepared to replace the pump gasket. Look closely to make sure the leak isn't coming from the pump shaft seal weep hole.

Some tips when you get ready to replace the pump...

Take a cardboard box, & turn it upside down. Count the number of bolts that hold the water pump on, don’t forget to count the 4 funny looking studs too. Poke a hole in the box for each bolt/stud. Arrange the holes in a circular formation, and mark the box at the 12:00 point. When you remove a water pump bolt, put it in one of the holes in the box according to where it came out of the water pump. When you are done, all bolts will be arranged it the exact same order and position that you removed them from the water pump. That makes re-installing them easy, no wondering where does this bolt go.

A long shank tap should be used to chase the dirt & corrosion out of the original threads before you reassemble everything. Cleaning the threads will help prevent the bolts from seizing next time (yes, there will be a next time).

A word about the links, if they don’t work, do a search on the part number (P/N). MSC updates their catalog regularly, and the pages may change, but the part numbers don’t. You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Long shank 5/16” taps

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=267 5/16” pulley tap, 6” shank P/N 04801189 price $18.91

OR second choice, will not clean all the bottom threads unless you grind the end of the tap.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=266 extension tap, 6” reduced diameter shank P/N 04701181 $21.37

Use lots of antiseize on the bolts to protect them from corrosion and make them easier to remove next time.

See http://totallystainless.net/totally.html for replacement stainless steel bolts. Last time I checked, they didn't have the studs. Nice folks, very into cars of all types. They have all kinds of stainless fasteners for almost every car. The prices are very reasonable, less the $10 for the water pump kit without the studs.

The studs are a Motormite item available at your local Advance Discount auto Parts store.

Motormite Water Pump Stud Kits for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars and trucks w/3.8L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.8L.

23744.jpg

Part Number: 23744

thanks, i'll give that a try one of these nights when i have time, i'm pretty sureit's not a weep hole. i can see a hole on the front of the water pump and it's not coming from that (assuming that's the weep hole).

another thing. when the car's running it doesn't seem to drip out any faster then with the car off. does that mean anything?

i had a similar issue. i'd say if youre going to do all the work to change the gasket, thow a new water pump on there. they're cheap (like $40), and are pretty much a consumable on a 5.0. Even if its ok now, you will be replacing it in the future.... and you won't have to do it twice if it wasnt just a gasket leak...

The waterpump replacement is pretty straightforward. Removing the old pump without snapping any of the bolts or studs is the biggest challenge. Try heating the bolts and studs and then soaking them with PB Blaster the night before removing the waterpump. Breaking a bolt or stud will add 2-3 hours to this project. Take your time. Clean and chase threads. Use plenty of Anti-Sieze. Torque the bolts to spec.

thanks guys! It looks like ill be replacing the water pump. it'll have to wait a week or two though. money's a little tight, and i have to find a torque wrench (i'm going to need one in the future anyways mine as well just buy one) although last night i was looking at it and the leak appears to be near the top left of the water pump. i can see a little "shelf" that has a little puddle on it. but i figure you are right about just replacing it and be done with it. thanks again guys

Ok... riddle me this guys.

so she's been dripping for like 4 days straight in my drive way. today i decide to drive her to work. brought plenty of coolant and water just in case. i filled up the reservoir last night, and ran it for a few minutes and it never drained into the radiator. On the way to work my temp gauge just starts skyrocketing and then suddenly goes back down. maybe the thermostat was stuck and then suddenly kicked in? but i just checked her at lunch and no puddle at all, not leaking a drop... any ideas what would cause that?