Least Favorite "mods"

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
we all know them, a random, half done thing on a otherwise nice car. What ones really get you?

To me, the big ones are 86-93 carb swapped street cars, or cars in primer being driven

• Sponsors (?)

Under-drive pulleys. Biggest waste of money invented for Fox cars.

asp-822125_9330.jpg

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Underdrive pulley systems increase engine horsepower by reducing the amount of power required to drive external engine accessories. For example, the alternator, power steering, water pump and air compressor rob horsepower from the engine. By replacing factory-sized crank and accessory drive pulleys with a resized pulley, the accessories are slowed, resulting in more horsepower available to the drive wheels. Typically, a set of Auto Specialties street pulleys will increase horsepower by 12-15, and increase mileage by 2 to 3 MPG. All pulleys are manufactured from Billet Steel or Aluminum, exceeding factory quality.

Due to the difference in diameter from the stock Mustang pullies, the alternator and charging system may need to be upgraded if you have a large stereo system

12 to 15 "claimed" fly-wheel HP with a 22% under-drive. Already, I call BS. In the real world, it's more like 6-8 fly-wheel HP.

Next, let's assume that our alternator needs upgrade because our 22% under-drive doesn't spin our 80 amp alternator fast enough to get even half of that rating at idle or because our headlights are dimming at night. Now we need a 3G alternator upgrade and it still might not be spun fast enough at idle to make a difference. Damn... ditch the alternator pulley. Now we have a 14.67% under-drive (less if we opted for the alternator over-drive pulley to fix the charging problem). Our 8 HP just dropped to 3 HP.

But wait.... all that HP we added (by means of other mods, perhaps even a blower) and now the cooling system is beginning to show signs of struggle....

Need I go on?

Reactions: 6 users
Carbs, huge cowl hoods, skinnies ... all things that will minimize my interest in a car to start with.

But, there are things I've learned from my Fox that I will look out for. Top of the list is anything an owner wired. An electric fan is probably the worst. Bad wiring, not taking AC into account, underdrive pulleys and stock alternator (eh, maybe just underdrive pulleys, dumb mod for a street car). The PO of my car used some sort of kit to wire the electric fan. This kit had a switch instead of any temp sensors. He still managed to mount the relay in such a way that it looked OK, but actually rotated and shorted while driving. The switch just dangled under the dash (it was tucked away when I test drove the car). Unless I plan on a full tear out, I will run away from cars that have random wires zip tied around the engine compartment.

Edit - posted at the same time as Noobz. I like his viewpoint on underdrive pulleys.

Reactions: 1 user
AC, power steering and rear seat delete.
All stupid, all things I've done.
Let's see, you lose value, you sweat your ass off and your car is hard to drive in parking lots.
Great plan...

Edit: Forgot to mention, when you come to your senses you have to buy parts to put them back together, making them even worse.

Reactions: 3 users
Under-drive pulleys. Biggest waste of money invented for Fox cars.

asp-822125_9330.jpg

12 to 15 "claimed" fly-wheel HP with a 22% under-drive. Already, I call BS. In the real world, it's more like 6-8 fly-wheel HP.

Next, let's assume that our alternator needs upgrade because our 22% under-drive doesn't spin our 80 amp alternator fast enough to get even half of that rating at idle or because our headlights are dimming at night. Now we need a 3G alternator upgrade and it still might not be spun fast enough at idle to make a difference. Damn... ditch the alternator pulley. Now we have a 14.67% under-drive less if we opted for the alternator over-drive pulley to fix the charging problem). Our 8 HP just dropped to 3 HP.

But wait.... all that HP we added (by means of other mods, perhaps even a blower) and now the cooling system is beginning to show signs of struggle....

Need I go on?
That's funny, I was just thinking about how I want to get rid of mine last night.

Spray bombed racing stripes....any wheel larger than an 18....LED tail lights....cheap racing seats in non-race cars....any lighting under the car....radios with the factory wires cut and sliced...house style screw on wire connectors.

When I got my car most of these things had been done to it...:(

I dislike under drive pulleys, anything fake chrome, most real chrome, bad wiring, most spoilers......

I have to go through and fix alot of stuff I did to mine when I first got the car.... dumb kid.:nonono:

Reactions: 1 users
My least favorite mod is probably madmike lol. Jk. Tinted windows,headlight covers,uglyass euro tailights,no tailpipes(especially on an LX),too big of a cam-causing lack of performance and drivability,and then madmike:p

My least favorite mod is probably madmike lol. Jk. Tinted windows,headlight covers,uglyass euro tailights,no tailpipes(especially on an LX),too big of a cam-causing lack of performance and drivability,and then madmike:p
Totally forgot about the first and last one, but that's a whole new thread

AC, power steering and rear seat delete.
All stupid, all things I've done.
Let's see, you lose value, you sweat your ass off and your car is hard to drive in parking lots.
Great plan...

Edit: Forgot to mention, when you come to your senses you have to buy parts to put them back together, making them even worse.
I agree with this as I have delete the AC and the rear seat just to have to go back and rebuy those parts. The big issue is that you are buying them typically at 3-5x more then what you sold them for.

Also, "upgrading" your stock brakes. They suck and always have, so throwing money at them isn't going to fix the problem.

I agree with 99% of the posts, 'cept madmike, gotta suck up a little, biggest 2
Putting on a carb and f'n up the wiring because you can't make the efi work, I really don't mind the carb thing just don't hack the wiring to do it.
Headlight/tail light covers, when I drive that 5 ton truck up your azz because I can't see your tail lights and turn signals it's gonna hurt, I guarantee.

He's not a mod anymore. lol He tossed that towel in months ago.
Wait... Mike's not a mod anymore, and Karthief is? Where the hell have I been?

Back on topic, 87-93 noses on 4-eye cars, especially when done to a Capri... Gives me the urge to find an 87-93 car and stick the 85-86 nose on it (my favorite fox look).

Wait... Mike's not a mod anymore, and Karthief is? Where the hell have I been?

Back on topic, 87-93 noses on 4-eye cars, especially when done to a Capri... Gives me the urge to find an 87-93 car and stick the 85-86 nose on it (my favorite fox look).
I know, right? Cats and dogs sleeping together.......