LED question

gearhead77

Mar 13, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
So I decided to take a chance on LED bulbs on my Fox after cleaning up my headlights and sealing them. I put LED bulbs in the parking/signal lights and they flash on 4-way (hazard) but not when used as turn signals. They’re Sylvania LED bulbs, 3157 type.

Do I need to do the resistor thing or change out the flasher relay? One or the other or both? So much differing info out there. I still have some incandescent bulbs, but that might change depending on how I can get this to work. TIA...

• Sponsors (?)

From my experience on my motorcyle... I just installed a new (LED) supported flasher relay... which I would do over resistor packs... all they do is generate heat and burn electric/power.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I just recently went through and put LED headlight, turn signals, parking lights, brake lights, license plate lights... pretty much every single bulb on the car I switched to LED, and yes, it makes a huge difference. Initially I used resistors, but later figured out I did not need them. It took about 5 different combinations of flasher relays before I got everything to flash as it should though. It ended up needing a heavy duty RV flasher relay and LED relay for the hazards. Not sure why, but any other way and the blinkers don't flash.

Novita EL12 flasher relay fixed the issue .OEM, It’s a small round, blue relay tucked way under steering column on an 89, tight but accessible. We are all flashing and blinking now as appropriate . It might be blinking too fast now, but it was really slow before.

No, the LED aren’t that much brighter but they respond faster to the brake switch. My car is not a daily and rarely driven at night but I like the old look with new technology behind it. Don’t think I’ll do LED headlamps at this point, but everything else will be LED when I can.

Reactions: 1 user
LED headlights suck for the drivers coming at you, you can't 'aim' them and blind oncoming drivers.
I have a 2017 Mustang. Every single blessed time I drive down a 2 lane road that doesn't have a median, at night, somebody will flash their brights at me. The real jackasses will wait until they're right on me to try and blind me. I have to drive with one hand on the lever just in case.

That said, I'd like to have LED headlights on my 90.

I have a full LED light conversion on my 2001 F150 SCrew and people hate me. I need the bright light for back roads that I drive down. You think my headlights and fog lights are bright.... wait till you see my Rough Country light bar and flood lights at night. If you were a vampire, looking at the light would turn you into dust! My fox will be getting the same treatment. I gotta see too right? *Edit* Super Bright LEDS dot com supplied me.
brightlight.jpg
lilbigrig.jpg

Last edited:
I have a full LED light conversion on my 2001 F150 SCrew and people hate me. I need the bright light for back roads that I drive down. You think my headlights and fog lights are bright.... wait till you see my Rough Country light bar and flood lights at night. If you were a vampire, looking at the light would turn you into dust! My fox will be getting the same treatment. I gotta see too right? *Edit* Super Bright LEDS dot com supplied me.
brightlight.jpg
lilbigrig.jpg

Nice truck! I run an ‘02 XLT Sport as my daily, that I owned since new! Just turned 100k (I work close to home)

Reactions: 1 user