Lets play "Name that Part" - Cylinder Head Stuff

mike93lx

May 22, 2003
Hudson, MA
These are pics of my Twisted Wedge heads.

#1 - Anyone know what springs these are? They are triple springs and I would like to try to find out what they are rated to. Are triples common?
279046374_saJqe-XL.jpg

#2 and 3 - Anyone know what make these roller rockers are? There is nothing on them except for the 1.6F
279046325_aUWQj-XL.jpg

279046383_A2PXP-XL.jpg

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

what the heck is wrong with the top of that valve stem it looks like the edges are rolled over and worn out, plus normally the tip is up higher than that and not sunk down so far...

do those rockers rub on the retainer?

and i dont know how anyone can tell what brand springs they are by looking at them.
a machine shop can measure the spring pressure for you

and i dont recognize the rockers

lol i dont think i was any help sorry

good catch. All of the valves that I looked closely at were fine, so I didn't think much of it. Unfortunately, the heads are packed up, so I can't look at them further.

I don't believe that the rockers are rubbing, but maybe that could explain the ticking problem that I am having. I don't see any marks on any of the retainers in the pics that I took.

It looks like all of the valve stem tips are only that far out. is that a problem?

its not a problem if the rocker body hits the retainer. generally a ford head has the valve stem tip protrude up a bit maybe 1/8 inch.

just verify the rocker doesnt touch the retainer or anything, a good .050 or more clearance would be best. i imagine it could cause a tick but a ticking would be the least of your worries... if the rockers hit the retainer its possible to drop a valve and cause a world of mess.

i am assuming you have had new springs put on ot bought them like this? my new TW heads have a taller valve stem tip (distance from keeper groove to top of valve) so the tip sticks up a bit (1/8 or so) plus my retainers on my TFS heads were dished look like the ones in your pics

another note of the ticking, did you ensure proper pushrod length and lifter preload?

good catch. All of the valves that I looked closely at were fine, so I didn't think much of it. Unfortunately, the heads are packed up, so I can't look at them further.

I don't believe that the rockers are rubbing, but maybe that could explain the ticking problem that I am having. I don't see any marks on any of the retainers in the pics that I took.

It looks like all of the valve stem tips are only that far out. is that a problem?

good catch? how could you not have saw that:eek:

good catch? how could you not have saw that:eek:

i just wasn't looking for it. this si teh first time that I have had heads off of a car and didn't think about it.

the heads will be at Trick Flow by the end of the week, so I'll get their opinion on them and see if I need to replace stuff.

so what it sounds like some of you are saying is that the valve stems are too short. could that be the case? could it be that the retainers aren't installed properly? does it look bad enough to possibly justify new valves?

forgive the dumb questions. most of this stuff is new to me and I had nothing to do with the installation of these heads, other than writing the check.

thanks!