Lets see those hoods

Here is the cowl hood part on my stang a while back.

IMG_1417.JPG IMG_1420.JPG IMG_1419.JPG

I build that first and had some body work issues so I stripped it down to start over. Before I got too deep into fixing it I got this vision. Part way through construction of the new hood I got the inspiration of the steel SVO inspired hood and started that.

The cowl rise is unchanged to today, so picture the scoop on top.
Pretty cool stuff! I’m sure once you’re done it’ll look nice for sure. And being one of a kind will be even better!!

• Sponsors (?)

I am hoping so. The idea for the low rise to the cowl came from my recollection (or maybe I'm just loosing it) from back in the day a "tuner" up here in Canada - DECH Motorsports. In one of their brochures I seem to recall they had and listed a 3/4" rise hood. In the pic/sketch it looked sooooo subtle it was cool. I can't seem to find that brochure or poster or whatever it was anymore, or any reference to a 3/4" rise hood. I liked the idea and decided to try. That was my original inspiration.

Reactions: 1 user
I am hoping so. The idea for the low rise to the cowl came from my recollection (or maybe I'm just loosing it) from back in the day a "tuner" up here in Canada - DECH Motorsports. In one of their brochures I seem to recall they had and listed a 3/4" rise hood. In the pic/sketch it looked sooooo subtle it was cool. I can't seem to find that brochure or poster or whatever it was anymore, or any reference to a 3/4" rise hood. I liked the idea and decided to try. That was my original inspiration.
I’m with you on the subtle cowl rise. 2” is too much.... stock is too little..... somebody needs to make a 1” and see what that looks like.

The next time I try one, and I will try a 1" rise again in steel, I will cut the stock rise at the base of the rise. The above version was cut down the middle and made for a vertical rise cowl, I think the stock tapered angle would look more subtle.

Each time I mod these things the results get better. You make mistakes early, figure out how to fix, have to fix again and again as you learn. This latest time I just found and figured out a metal shrinking disc (I know all the body guys are laughing now), it is the best thing ever for sheet metal straightening other than not getting a warp in the first place.

Lots of fun

The next time I try one, and I will try a 1" rise again in steel, I will cut the stock rise at the base of the rise. The above version was cut down the middle and made for a vertical rise cowl, I think the stock tapered angle would look more subtle.

Each time I mod these things the results get better. You make mistakes early, figure out how to fix, have to fix again and again as you learn. This latest time I just found and figured out a metal shrinking disc (I know all the body guys are laughing now), it is the best thing ever for sheet metal straightening other than not getting a warp in the first place.

Lots of fun

Nice! It’s all about the process and the learning!! At least for me.
There’s so many things I’ve done in my house that if I had the time and money I could do over so much better right now..... but it’s good enough, and I’d rather spend money on the fox! Lol

I have another fabrication that is partially complete. Again all steel. Essentially 1" rise cowl hood with an all steel replication of the 99-04 center recess section and hood scoop.

20191008_221722.jpg 20191008_221740.jpg 20191008_221759.jpg

It needs more work than the SVO style hood above. The scoop is removable and will get a grill or mesh of some sort to keep debris out. I am thinking it will get same ram air routing as my other hood. Still a lot of smoothing and finishing required. I started it first but it is on the back burner for now.

Obviously not finished but maybe it inspires someone to try something on their own and a little different.

My inspiration for this hood is a pic I modified from two I downloaded from American Muscles website depicting hoods...

two makes one.jpg Fox with 2001 hood lowered.jpg
Really like the creativity KRUISR !
Some different looks are always cool , you must have a stockpile of fox hoods laying around .
Keep us updated on your progress !

Not really, the first one I picked up 3/4 years ago at local pick a part for $30 I think. The most recent hood I got at a different yard for about $50. I still have my factory hood on my stang.

I also have a knock off ram air hood like Dudestang's that needs a bunch of work to fit right and look right. That's a project for another day.