Lifters Wont Prime

John Hyde

Jul 31, 2012
88 gt40p combo. new 30 over bore and pistons. o deck. 30 off the heads. ford b cam ford racing roller lifters. trying to prime new lifters with oil. had drill going cc for like 10 minutes but never got oil to the rockers. oil if flowing good onto the distributor gear as i try to prime. had intake off and lifters out had flow to the lifter galley. Only thing i didnt do was soak the lifters in oil. I had a set of comp cam lifters for a chevy that said not to soak in oil. They worked fine. Do you have to on a ford???

• Sponsors (?)

took one lifter out and tried to prime. had to use my third hand to run the drill so i could cover up the oil ports on the back of the block with my hand and feel in the lifter bore for oil flow. there was very little oil flow into that particular lifter bore. there was some though. I do not know what kind of pressure should be here. seem like there should be more than is there.

started w a battery drill until it dies. then got the 3/8 elect drill out and went at it for 5 minutes then waited and tried another 5 then waited and tried another 5. nothing through the lifters. Block was bored and decked to a 0 deck. did not get it cleaned. it had good oil pressure before. did install a new pump obviously during the build. bad pump???clogged oil port???Is there a gasket that goes between the oil pump and the engine on fords? Dont remember if i put one on or not. Or if there even is one there???o god please dont make me have to pull the pan!!!

There is indeed a gasket between the pick up and the pump.none for the block. From what I've heard leading this gasket out can cause oil pressure issues. Not saying that it's the answer to your problem though.

There is a gasket that is between the pump and block and it is very important.

It sounds like some oil is getting to the lifter galley...are the plugs in the lifter galleries up front? If not oil will get up there and then drain towards the front cover. Did you set pickup to pan clearance?

Soaking lifters is good but not mandatory ...

A machine shop decked the block but did not clean it?

Were all the slotted main bearings in the upper half of the block? Can you put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on?

There is a gasket that is between the pump and block and it is very important.

It sounds like some oil is getting to the lifter galley...are the plugs in the lifter hallows up front? If not oil will get up there and then drain towards the front cover.

Soaking lifters is good but not mandatory ...
That is good to know. I was always instructed that the gasket went between the pick up and pump..

There is a thin gasket that goes between the pump and block, a thicker gasket goes between the pump and pickup and the pickup should be. 375"-.500" from the pan depending on pump, pan and combo and pickup size.

I called the machine shop and told them my issues. So they pulled the shop ticket. I told them to leave the freeze plugs out. Well they left all the plugs out of the block. Including the oil galley plugs that go in behind the cam gear. Sure enough I came home today and pulled the cover off and they were never installed. I did not know they were taken out and never noticed them missing. I had this motor running for at least 10 minutes with no oil plugs in it. Actually running. When I first primed the block or thought i primed it I had the valve covers on. Did not verify that oil was coming out the push rods. I know dumb mistake!!! Do you think that the bearings are trashed??? Oil was pumping just not at pressure and I did use a very good assembly lube. Machine shop said to bring them the filter and they will cut it apart to see if there is bearing residue in the oil. The oil is black already. It was cheap oil. I do not want to take the motor out and apart again obviously. But if the pump pressurizes the mains first or something I will of course be very lucky and not mess with it. Does anyone know?

A buddy of mine had the oil plug at the rear of the lifter valley left out. He would get a pressure reading, but no oil to rockers just as you stated. Just as you, he ran the car for a few minutes. His bearings were fine. The lower half of his engine was getting lubed, just not the upper half. The filter will probably tell the tale.

Joe

The mains and rods should have been getting oil but your pressure was extremely low, as long as it was not run with any type of rpm you should be fine. The filter will tell all....

those plugs were the lifter gallies plugs I was talking about, if you did not thread them before hand they are small press in freeze type plugs.

Ok. I got it back together and at first it had a slight knock to it. After 20-30 seconds it went away. Runs good now. It does need some tuning done to it. Has hesitation when u hit throttle and its kinda weak below 3500 rpm. Wont burn the tires in this little car.

This is why it won't run good below 3500 RPM. My car did the exact same thing. Ran like crap on the bottom end but ran like a scalded assed ape up top. B cam and SD don't mix. You coulda got away with the GT40P combo if you had left the stock cam in. You're gonna have to convert to MAF or get a custom dyno tune for speed density. There's a very nice write up on here on how to convert to mass airflow, and honestly that's the route I would go. You don't wanna dyno tune it with SD, change ONE thing about the set up, then have to dyno tune it again, do ya?